Faculty and Staff
How to Upload Files to the Student Organizations Web Server
Vanderbilt provides registered student organizations with webspace at no charge on Vanderbilt’s web server, studentorgs.vanderbilt.edu. To upload webfiles to studentorgs.vanderbilt.edu, ITS recommends the free for Windows application FileZilla Client. Below are step-by-step instructions on how to use FileZilla.
1. Download the free application FileZilla. Download FileZilla Client.
2. After the download is complete, you will have one icon on your desktop. (See illustration at right.) Doubleclick on the icon titled FileZilla to install FileZilla.
3. After you install Filezilla, you can run it by going to your Start Menu > Programs > FileZilla FTP Client.
4. After you run Filezilla you will need to click two buttons that are labeled with an “L” and an “F”. These will allow you to reduce the number of window panes (tree directories) in your window to only two panes. You will only need to do this once. See the illustration below.
5. Open the Site Manager by going to File > Site Manager… or by pressing Open the Site Manager Button. (see illustration)
6. Once the Site Manager is open click New Site. (see illustration)
7. You will need to fill out Host, Servertype, login type, user, and password information (see illustration)
Servertype: SFTP – SSHFile Transfer Protocol
User: your VUnetID
Password: your ePassword
8. After you are done filling out the information the General tab click the Advanced tab. Here you can browse and point to your local directory (where your website files reside on your computer) and also point to the folder on your student orgs website folder. (see illustration)
Default remote directory: /studentorgs.vanderbilt.edu/html/yourSiteFolder
Note: you will only have to do this one time. It will save all your information once you press the Connect or OK button
9. Press Connect (see illustration)
10. The first time you connect to the server, you may see a dialog box asking if you want to accept the host key (see screenshot below). Click Always trust this host, add this key to the cache to save the new host key to the local database.
11. Once your web files / folder are visible in the left pane, select the files you want to put on the server, and drag them into the right pane of the dialog box (the pane titled Remote Name).
12. Once you’ve dragged the files into the right pane of the dialog box, your web files will be on the server. (see example below)
13. Once you’ve uploaded all your files, select File > Exit.
14. Congratulations! You’ve successfully uploaded your web files to the Student Organizations server.
If you have problems using FileZilla, please email deanofstudentsit at vanderbilt.edu.