Faculty and Staff
Manage Your WordPress Website
Access to your Administration
Username: <your vu email address>
Password: <provided admin password>*
*We highly recommend you changing this password to something you can remember.
Online WordPress Tutorials
- WordPress 101 – The Basics
- WordPress.tv – How To Videos for practically everything WordPress
- If you have a Lynda.com account – they have a whole section of WordPress tutorials.
Homepage Slider Settings
- Include slideshow on homepage – Any post or page with a tag “featured” will be put in the slideshow. The image that will be used is the FEATURED IMAGE that you choose in the right column.
- For the caption – it automatically pulls the title of the page or post. If you would rather use customized text, simply add a customfield “featuretext” with the text you would like to use (being mindful of the length available for display).
Right Column News Feed
- Include news feed in the right column?
- External news feed – if you’d rather use an external news feed instead of the POSTS section of your website, place the feed URL here (beginning with http:// and NOT feed://)
- If you do have a news section in your WordPress site – the theme is thumbnail enabled. Currently – the thumbnails only display on the archives page.
Social Media Links
- The social media section in the extended footer.
- Connect Section Title – what you would like the header of that section to be.
- Facebook – URL to your facebook page
- Twitter – URL to your twitter account
- Flickr – URL to your flickr account
- Flickr UserID – your flickr userid (NOT YOUR LOGIN); go to this website to find your flickr id: http://idgettr.com/
- YouTube – URL to your youtube account
- Footer Link List Heading – currently YOUR VANDERBILT
- Link List Column One – formatted as unordered list; input as many li’s with links as you would like in the left column
- Link List Column Two – formatted as unordered list; input as many li’s with links as you would like in the right column
- Footer copyright text – this will display next to the Vanderbilt University copyright notice.
- Google Analytics Code – put your google analytics code here – it will be placed right above the closing body tag.
- You create a customfield — name it googlecal or vimeo or sitemason (whatever you want).
- Paste the html/php/js code you are wanting to use in as the value.
- Click “add custom field”
- Go back up to the post – where you want the code to be – and put the shortcode in: or .