Housing Assignments Graduate Assistant
Department: Housing Assignments, Office of Housing and Residential Experience, Dean of Students
Primary Contact: Ashley Ladyman
The Graduate Assistant for Housing Assignments is part of the Office of Housing and Residential Experience in the Dean of Students division at Vanderbilt University. The Graduate Assistant for Housing Assignments is an academic-year graduate assistantship reporting to the Assistant Director for Housing Assignments. The Graduate Assistant for Housing Assignments has responsibility for assisting the Assistant Director for Housing Assignments with managing assignment-related services/activities for students.
The position will begin in August 2021 and last for 9 months. Continuation of the assistantship will depend upon satisfactory performance of your assigned duties and progress toward your degree. You will be expected to work 20 hours per week excluding university breaks. This may include some evening and weekend hours.
About the Work Unit:
The Office of Housing Assignments is responsible for occupancy management of Vanderbilt’s on-campus residence halls. Our office works to ensure that students assigned to housing that best meets their needs through a fair and consistent process. Our team collaborates with various offices inside and outside of the Dean of Students including Residential Experience, Housing Facilities, Housing Finance, Student Care Coordination, Center for Student Wellbeing, Student Access Services and Residential Colleges. In addition, our office works to coordinate numerous logistical efforts including move-in, move-out and transitions between terms, and is responsible for all aspects of billing within the Office of Housing and Residential Experience.
About the Office of the Dean of Students
The Office of the Dean of Students serves a central role in student learning and development at Vanderbilt, advancing the University’s mission of teaching, research, and service by fostering academic and social networks through which students develop as intentional learners and global citizens. The Office of the Dean of Students creates opportunities to involve students, faculty and staff in diverse learning communities and provides a critical support structure for enriching the overall student experience. We achieve these ends through strategic alignment, both internally and in concert with other university departments. We care deeply. We educate completely. We lead with excellence. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and mental health are top priorities for the institution and by extension the offices of the Dean of Students. Our staff are committed to continued growth in knowledge, awareness, skills, and experience engaging with these priorities in a higher education environment.
Key Functions and Expected Performance:
- Housing Registration/Selection Process
- Aid the Marketing and Communications Coordinator and collaborate with Residential Education staff to host housing-related programs within the residence halls
- Assist with the planning, coordination, and evaluation of housing assignment information sessions and the live selection events
- Assist the Director of Housing Assignments and the Assistant Director of Housing Assignments with the online selection process
- Research best practices for registration and selection processes
- Develop an understanding of Adirondack Solutions Housing Director software
- Student Assistance
- Assist students as needed with questions regarding on-campus living, off-campus living, room change periods and general assignments information
- Off-Campus Authorization
- Aid the Marketing and Communications Coordinator in planning, organizing, implementing and evaluating off-campus housing fairs
- Assist with the tracking and verification of addresses for students residing off-campus
- Additional Projects
- Coordinate and analyze the results of internal assessments, and present the data in written and verbal form
- Manage the “room change” survey data collection
- Assist the Director of Housing Assignments for First-Year, Upperclass, and Transfer Move In, including logistics preparation, training and assessment
- Other duties as assigned
This position reports administratively and functionally to the Assistant Director of Housing Assignments.
Education and Certifications:
- Full-time enrollment in graduate degree program at Vanderbilt University is required.
- Enrollment in the M.Ed. Higher Administration Education program in the Department of Leadership, Policy, and Organizations at Peabody College is strongly preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- Ability to work independently is necessary.
- High level of attention to detail is necessary.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are strongly preferred.
- Ability to research independently
- Ability to effectively communicate with members of the Vanderbilt internal and external community
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Intermediate Internet experience, including the ability to do on-line research
- Familiarity with basic data analysis
- Ability to create and develop materials for initiatives and projects
- Assist in the development and presentation of training and development programs
The compensation for this assistantship includes an annual stipend of $11,700 paid over the 9-month period and a 66% tuition scholarship, (33% paid by the Office of the Dean of Students/Office of the Provost and 33% paid by Peabody College) paid directly to your student account. The tuition benefit is for the total minimum number of hours needed to complete your academic program.
NOTE: It is required that you apply for financial aid and request that any available work-study funding be used towards these positions.