DOS STARS Spotlight: Taylor Shaw

Posted by on Wednesday, September 11, 2019 in News Blurbs.

“Taylor truly goes above and beyond in all that she does to support the students she comes into contact with. Through working with the Office of Greek Life Taylor is continually providing ongoing help to the men of the Interfraternity Council, as well as being one of the main advisors to the Dance Marathon Organization. Taylor is creative, fun, and seeks to use her skills to make the Vanderbilt community a more accessible, authentic, and enjoyable place for all! People like Taylor embody all that Vanderbilt hopes to exhibit and be for its students.”

What do you love most about working in Vanderbilt Dean of Students?
Working with incredible students! In my role, I help advise the Interfraternity Council and Dance Marathon. I love the relationships I have been able to build with the students and all that I have learned from them. It has been rewarding to watch them grow as leaders over the past year and see the impact they have had on their organizations and communities.

What led you to Vanderbilt?
When I began searching for graduate programs, I knew that I wanted to be somewhere that provided a holistic learning experience, both in and out of the classroom. I really felt that this Vanderbilt was the institution that would best prepare me for the next step in my career and when I visited campus, The Office of Greek Life staff made the decision easy! They were incredibly welcoming and I was excited about the opportunity to work with them and the students in the fraternity and sorority community.

If you could give one piece of advice to a new staff member, what would it be?
Dive in, ask questions, and don’t be afraid to fail. Transitioning into a new role at any level is challenging and it takes time to understand how you fit into the Vanderbilt community. I think it is always important to remember why you are passionate about the work and to recognize the strengths and talents that you bring to your role.

What challenges does your job present you with? What are you still learning?
There is never a dull day in the Office of Greek Life! While the work can be challenging, I am fortunate to learn something new every day. Every student is unique and they continually push me to think about how I  can best serve them as individuals and support their development as leaders. One thing I have been pushing myself to learn more about this year is how I can empower students to create long-lasting change within their organizations.

What is the best piece of professional advice you ever received?
Always remember why you do the work that you do and find joy in that. The days can be challenging, but remember that you have the power to positively impact the individuals around you and the greater community.

What is your favorite restaurant in Nashville?
Otaku Ramen! The Schezuan Miso is my go-to order.

Best way to spend a Saturday?
Watching college football, of course!

My phone camera reel is full of …
Pictures of my family’s bulldogs, Elle and Winston!