DOS STARS Spotlight: Heath Garton

Posted by on Monday, July 1, 2019 in News Blurbs.

“Heath is someone you can call anytime day or night and get help with a building access issue. He is a great partner to have and always gives more than 100%.”

What do you love most about working in Vanderbilt Dean of Students?  I was fortunate to hire into Ann Nielson’s team. All my time here, I’ve had plenty of challenges, but also plenty of support from the folks I work with and I’ve also had the freedom to determine how to address the challenges.

What led you to Vanderbilt? That was God answering a prayer.

If you could give one piece of advice to a new staff member, what would it be?  I usually don’t offer unsolicited advice. However, I was given some advice in my first days and will share it here. “Working at Vanderbilt is like licking a valium lollipop.” The guy who told me that had detected I was someone who liked to make things happen and was trying to help me understand sometimes things in our environment don’t move so quickly and perhaps he thought I needed to chill out. I chose to resist that view for some time, but later realized it really just indicates the universal truth that progress demands endurance. Don’t fall asleep.

What is the best piece of professional advice you ever received?  Whatever you do, work as though for the Lord, not people. Colossians 3:23

What is your favorite restaurant in Nashville? Cajun Steamer (Cool Springs)

Best way to spend a Saturday?  In the Caribbean