Meet a Member – James Hazel

Posted by on Tuesday, March 23, 2021 in Newsletter.

James Hazel
teaching faculty

How did you get involved with data science?

I currently teach Data Science: Rights and Responsibilities (DS5340) at the DSI, but my career path is an unusual one! I received my Ph.D. in Molecular Biology from the University of Wyoming in 2016, during which time I spent summers as a quantitative light microscopist at the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, MA. Although I enjoyed work as a bench scientist, my true research interests were exploring pressing legal and policy issues with implications for scientific research and healthcare. With the help of a supportive Ph.D. mentor, I was allowed to co-enroll in law school and craft my own J.D./Ph.D. program. I ultimately completed my law degree at Vanderbilt University Law School in 2017, after which I joined the Center for Biomedical Ethics and Society at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

When you’re not at the DSI, what can we find you doing?

My wife (Molly) and I live on a rural, 50-acre “homestead” north of Nashville. You can find me mowing the grass (a never-ending battle), feeding the animals (potbelly pigs, chickens, and two Bassett Hounds), or cycling on the country backroads. We also love to cook and try out new recipes, including attempting copycats of famous offerings not available locally (like In-N-Out burger).

What is a work related accomplishment you’re proud of?

I am proud of the opportunities I have had to disseminate the findings of my research to diverse audiences, including academics (in both traditional and legal journals), policymakers, and the public (through active engagement with the media).

What show are you currently binge watching?

I’ll Be Gone In The Dark on Netflix (about the Golden State Killer case and forensic genealogy, an area of interest in my research)

Favorite place to eat in Nashville?

Tough question! The whole hog at Martin’s Bar-B-Que Joint comes to mind.

Last book you read?

Liftoff: Elon Musk and the Desperate Early Days That Launched SpaceX (Eric Berger)

hometown: Gilbert, arizona
Nashville resident:  6 years