Student Spotlight – Wenying Gu

Posted by on Tuesday, March 16, 2021 in Newsletter.

What is the most valuable lesson learned in the program so far, and why?

Have a clear plan and strive for plenty of opportunities on your own… you’ll have a tiring but fulfilling two years. Because the resources are out there, but you have to be proactive in getting them. Since the curriculum has a heavy workload, students need to learn better time management skills. Don’t let your studies put you off your career plans.

What is your current work experience?

I work as a part-time data analyst at VUMC in March and have since then participated in a series of researches for the COVID outbreak. My major responsibilities in the lab include: database construction on Redcap, data cleaning, data wrangling, data analysis, data visualization, statistical analysis, and weekly report updating. I hope that this internship may help me to achieve my career goal – as a biostatistician, to contribute to the well-being of everyone who lives hard in this complex world.

How have you adapted to the virtual learning lifestyle?

I am very adaptable to the new virtual learning mode, which gives us the opportunity to watch the course repeatedly and make up for the missing details in the class. But I still yearn to return to a normal life and have more interaction with my classmates and professors.

Favorite thing to do Nashville?

Nashville is prosperous and bustling. Before the pandemic, we could go shopping, travel to national parks, enjoy food from different countries, go to bars for a drink.

wenying gu, bs
hometown: jiangsu, china