Meet a Member – Andreas Berlind

Posted by on Tuesday, November 17, 2020 in Newsletter.

Andreas Berlind
dsi co-director

How did you get involved with data science?

My research involves analyzing large datasets of galaxies and comparing them to theoretical simulations of the universe. As the datasets grew increasingly complex, I began to seek out new computational and statistical tools, like machine learning, that would enable me to tackle the scientific questions I am interested in. At the same time, many of my students started being interested in careers in data science. These factors motivated me to help build a community of data science practitioners at Vanderbilt and lead the effort to propose and launch the DSI.

When you’re not at the DSI, what can we find you doing?

I love traveling, trying new foods, and experiencing all kinds of art and music. So in pre-COVID and pre-kid times, you might have found me at a seaside taverna on a Greek island or a nightclub in NYC. Now I spend most of my free time either playing with my two little kids or keeping up with the news. As for outings in Nashville, I love going to see performance art shows at OZ Arts.

What is a work related accomplishment you’re really proud of?

I am very proud of the fantastic team I helped recruit and build at the DSI!

Last book you read?

This Chair Rocks: A Manifesto Against Ageism

If you could travel anywhere (money not a factor), where would you go, and why?

Vietnam. I haven’t been to Southeast Asia and have always wanted to travel there. Vietnam is my top choice because the people are super friendly and I love the food. I also want to do a multi-day exploration of one of the amazing caves, like Son Doong. I was actually planning a trip to Vietnam this year but had to cancel due to the pandemic.

If you could have one superpower, what would it be, and why?

Teleportation. I have friends all over the world and I would love to be able to see them whenever I want.

hometown: athens, greece
Nashville resident:  13 years