Student Spotlight – Drew Flaherty

Posted by on Wednesday, September 9, 2020 in Newsletter.

How did you become interested in Data Science?

My first experience with data analysis was during my senior year of undergrad while working on a research project. The topic I picked was the connection between performance and play in Major League Baseball. It was an enjoyable experience, and helped me in realizing I could combine my academic strengths with topics I enjoy researching/studying.

Why did you choose Vanderbilt’s DS MS program?

Vanderbilt is a great institution, so I knew I’d be receiving a quality education. Coupled with only being three hours away, it seemed like a great opportunity for me to be successful.

What is your best advice for an incoming student?

Take it one day at a time and don’t be afraid to ask your peers for help. A lot of new information is thrown at you during your first year in the program. It is important to not get overwhelmed by it all. It also helps to know that your peers are going through the same thing you are, so they are almost always willing to help. In learning a valuable lesson during my first year: stay up to date on things. It is really easy to fall behind… and I have found myself in that situation a few times, and it was really hard to work myself out of that hole.

How did you spend your summer?

This past summer I interned with Deloitte in their audit analytics department. The internship was shorted to two weeks and made virtual due to the coronavirus pandemic. However, I did gain valuable insights from the experience. I received an in depth look at how Deloitte is utilizing analytics in their audit practice. I was also able to hear from professionals who work in different industries throughout the audit analytics department at Deloitte. This allowed me to see how audit analytics can be implemented in these industries, and how Deloitte is placing an emphasis on advancing the field of audit analytics.

Favorite thing to do in Nashville?

Run!

drew flaherty, Ba
hometown: memphis, tn