How to Apply
THE APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR FALL 2020 ADMISSION IS DECEMBER 15, 2019.
Applicants should complete their application by that day, using the electronic application form. On the form, applicants should indicate Area of Interest on the Program page: whether they are applying in fiction or poetry.
- A writing sample
- Applicants for the MFA Program should submit a creative writing sample: a fiction manuscript (20 to 25 pages in length) made up of stories or part of a novel, or a poetry manuscript (10 to 15 pages in length).
- College transcript/s
- Applicants should attach UNOFFICIAL COPIES of their transcripts to their application. Only admitted applicants will be instructed to submit official and final transcripts (with prior degrees posted) as a condition of enrollment at Vanderbilt.
- A statement of purpose no more than three to five pages long
- Three letters of recommendation
- TOEFL scores
- Only international applicants need to submit TOEFL scores; they should use code 1871.
Graduate School Application Fee and Fee Waiver
- Application Fee: The Graduate School application fee is $95.00.
- Find details of the application fee and application fee waiver policy here.