Spring semester academic calendar
Deans and faculty are continuing to develop and review course schedules, and the university plans to offer more in-person courses in the spring. Students who want to take a greater number of in-person classes are encouraged to work closely with their adviser to develop their class schedule. The university also is applying lessons learned from the fall semester to adjust and enhance its approach to supporting our students academically, socially and emotionally, and protecting their health and safety as much as possible with regard to testing and other COVID-19 protocols.
Our academic calendar for this spring, as detailed below, is designed to sustain the momentum our community has worked so hard to establish, while also taking into account the most recent data and guidance from our colleagues at Vanderbilt University Medical Center and the School of Nursing and that of public health officials. As always, our success hinges entirely on your continued dedication and accountability in the weeks and months to come.
- The first day of classes will be Monday, January 25. Instruction will conclude on Friday, April 30.
- On-campus housing will reopen on Friday, January 22, for all students with on-campus housing assignments (more details on housing are below). Vanderbilt Housing and Residential Experience (OHARE) will manage the move-in schedule.
- There will be no spring break this year, in a continued effort to limit travel-associated disease transmission. In addition, we ask that students stay in the Nashville area and not travel away from campus for weekend trips through the end of in-person classes and finals.
- Students studying remotely must be prepared to take classes that are offered synchronously on Central Time.
- Four reading days and six exam days will follow the last day of classes April 30. Exams will conclude May 10.
- Commencement for the Class of 2021 is planned for Friday, May 14.
Graduate and professional academic calendars
- Graduate and professional school/college calendars for the spring also will be released this week. Some may differ from the general university academic calendar.