Positive Case/Isolation and Close Contact/Quarantine
Members of the Vanderbilt community who have received a COVID-19 positive test result, regardless of vaccination status, must complete the following webform. The webform goes directly to the Command Center to ensure confidentiality and someone will follow-up with you as soon as possible.
Test results of individuals tested by VUMC (Student Health or Occupational Health) or VU’s asymptomatic on-campus testing program are routed automatically.
Individuals will receive direct communication from the Command Center about their isolation (if they tested positive) and will be instructed to contact Student Health or Occupational Health if they develop symptoms.
Members of the Vanderbilt community who have been informed they are a close contact from sources external from the university, regardless of vaccination status, should complete the following webform. The webform goes directly to the Command Center to ensure confidentiality and someone will follow-up with you as soon as possible.
The university is currently following CDC guidance on its quarantine and isolation requirements. The CDC recommends to:
- Stay home and away from other people for at least 5 days (day 0 through day 5) after your last contact with a person who has COVID-19.
- If you develop symptoms, get tested immediately and isolate until you receive your test results. If you test positive, follow isolation recommendations.
- If you do not develop symptoms, get tested at least 5 days after you last had close contact with someone with COVID-19.
- If you test negative, you can leave your home, but continue to wear a well-fitting mask when around others at home and in public until 10 days after your last close contact with someone with COVID-19.
- If you test positive, you should isolate for at least 5 days from the date of your positive test (if you do not have symptoms). If you do develop COVID-19 symptoms, isolate for at least 5 days from the date your symptoms began (the date the symptoms started is day 0). Follow recommendations in the isolation section below.
- If you are unable to get a test 5 days after last close contact with someone with COVID-19, you can leave your home after day 5 if you have been without COVID-19 symptoms throughout the 5-day period. Wear a well-fitting mask for 10 days after your date of last close contact when around others at home and in public.
If asymptomatic, testing can be done at the VU Testing Center. If individuals develop symptoms, they should test at Student Health, Occupational Health or VUMC or other testing location in the community.
More information on symptomatic and asymptomatic testing can be found here.
Officials with the university’s Public Health Central Command Center will continue to make determinations of quarantine periods for close contacts. Close contacts who reside on-campus and need to quarantine will move to quarantine housing. Close contacts who reside off-campus and need to quarantine will quarantine at their residences.
Students in quarantine and isolation should contact their instructors to discuss a plan to access class material and make up missed work. Faculty will work with students as they do other times when a student misses class due to a medical condition.