May 14, 2020 – Take Action: Returning to retrieve your belongings from your space

Posted by on Thursday, May 14, 2020 in Community Messages.

Dear Vanderbilt Student,

You are receiving this message because we have identified that you still have belongings in your residence hall space. We understand that you are anxious to retrieve your belongings, and we have a plan and procedures that will allow students to return to campus to pick up items in a safe and orderly manner. Our priority is the health and safety of our students, families, and staff; please read this email closely to understand the guidelines for your move out.

Please complete the “Request to Remove Belongings” survey in the Student Housing Portal under the Applications menu to let us know what your plans are for your belongings. You must respond to this survey no later than 12PM CST, Monday, May 18. Failure to respond to the survey will result in your items staying in campus storage.

The survey will have five mutually exclusive options. You must only select one; given the large number of students who have items remaining on campus, we cannot accommodate special requests.

1. I will return to campus on my selected date to get my items.
  2. I will contact UPS by May 30th, 2020, to pack and ship/store ALL of my items at my expense.
  3. I will not return to campus for my items and would like OHARE to pack and store my items.
  4. I have already removed all of my items from my room.
  5. I request that Vanderbilt discard or donate my remaining items.

Below is additional information on the retrieval options listed above:

Return to Campus

If you plan to return to campus to get your items, you may have no more than two other people with you in the residence hall at all times. You may hire a third-party vendor for assistance; however, you must escort the vendor into your residence hall and room at the time of your visit (the vendor’s personnel will be included in your two-person limit).

You will be given nine dates to choose from to schedule a time to return. You will [have/select] a four-hour move-out window on your selected date. Prepare to take all of your belongings with you at the time of the visit. We will not have donation bins or building storage. We also ask that you bring your own boxes and moving equipment. OHARE will provide a limited number of carts in each lobby.

As a reminder, individuals that return to campus are responsible for assessing personal risk and taking precautions. We ask that you please bring and wear your own protective gear (facemasks/coverings, gloves).

Housekeeping continues to clean and disinfect high touch public areas daily in all residence halls and will continue to do so during residence hall move-out.

Individuals who are exhibiting COVID-19 related symptoms should not return to campus. Please refer to the following link for more information regarding monitoring COVID-19 related symptoms.

Contract with UPS

If you plan to use UPS, they will have access to your residence hall once they have a contract with you. They are our preferred vendor and work closely with our office to gain access to provide a timely turnaround for you. To use UPS services, you must contact them directly by calling 615-327-4614 or emailing info@premiercollegestorage.com. Failure to contact UPS by May 30th, 2020, will result in your items being placed in campus storage until on-campus classes resume.

OHARE to Pack and Store

If you plan to use campus storage, your items can be retrieved when on-campus classes resume. The storage facility is on campus and is climate controlled. There is no fee for campus storage.

Discard or Donate

If you wish to have your remaining items donated to a local charity, the Vanderbilt Plant Operations team will pack your items and donate them to a local Nashville charity. We cannot accommodate requests for donations to go to a specific charity, and you should only select this option if you wish for all your remaining items to be donated or discarded.

Please keep in mind that should there be a surge in COVID-19 cases in Nashville, any new orders issued by the Mayor may result in a pause to this move-out plan. We ask for your cooperation and flexibility, as this situation is ever-evolving.

All students receiving this message should respond to the survey no later than 12PM, Monday, May 18th. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us.

We are grateful for your patience during this public health crisis.