Skip to main content

Brand Engagement and Governance

Prospective Licensees

Jump To:


Types of Licenses 

Vanderbilt University owns the rights to the logos, symbols, verbiage, and marks that reference Vanderbilt University. Anyone wishing to use a Vanderbilt University trademark or one which can be associated with the university must obtain a license. There are three (3) types of licenses. The Internal Campus Supplier license is managed by Vanderbilt University. The Local license and Standard license is managed by CLC. 

  • Internal Campus Supplier (ICS)- For companies which will produce products for on-campus departments and groups at Vanderbilt University. With this license, a company is not permitted to sell products to retail. Royalties are exempt on most sales into this channel.
  • Local License- For companies desiring to sell licensed products bearing University trademarks, and whose businesses are based within the state of Tennessee. These items can be sold to retail stores across the country and online, and royalties will be due on all items sold. Only institutions located in the state of Tennessee are applicable to this license.
  • Standard License- For companies desiring to sell licensed products bearing University trademarks, as well as become licensed for other IMGCL institutions that fall outside the state of Tennessee.

CLICK HERE to view the License Type Quick Reference sheet


Licensing Process

The Office of Brand Engagement and Governance evaluates each licensing application on a case by case basis and must grant approval of the completed application before any merchandise can be produced for sale. This process ensures that every product bearing the marks of Vanderbilt University will be of a high quality, and protects all parties, including the University, from future liability. The licensing process can vary in length due a number of factors. For more information on the process, CLICK HERE.  

Apply for License

To apply for an Internal license CLICK HERE

To apply for a Local or Standard license CLICK HERE 

Crafters License

A crafter is defined as an individual producing domestic handcrafted items in the home with collegiate marks, and selling/distributing to individual consumers via events or direct sales. This might include events organized by a church, school, county, state, craft, holiday, Junior League, street festivals, gift marts, or flea markets. In addition, no more than (500) units may be sold per year and less than ($2500) total sales per year per university. No sales will be permitted on a wholesale basis or to a third-party retailer.
To obtain a Crafters License for Vanderbilt University, CLICK HERE
Please note that Vanderbilt University owns it's trademarks, names, seals, and symbols and must grant permission prior to any use of these marks. Failure to do so is an infringement of the university’s federally protected trademarks. 

One Time Use Waiver 

To request use of Vanderbilt University marks for commercial purposes for a specific project and/or limited time use, CLICK HERE