Requirements for Graduation
Commencement is a wonderful and exciting time of the year. Just as nature has embarked on a fresh adventure, so do all of the Vanderbilt graduates of 2018.
August and December 2017 graduates planning to return for the ceremony in May should send Registrar an email to let us know that you will be attending.
- April 6 – Last day to order REGALIA (cap and gown) and to purchase custom Master/Doctoral/Ph.D. REGALIA (cap and gown) to arrive for Commencement 2018
- April 13 – Final day to order ANNOUNCEMENTS in time for them to arrive before Commencement 2018
- May 2 – Last day to pre-order COMMODORE BALLROOM BUFFET LUNCH
- May 8 – Deadline to reserve rooms for ACCOMMODATIONS AT THE COMMONS
- May 8 – Last day to order $25 tickets for THE PARTY. Tickets are $30 at the door.
- May 12 – Residence halls close for all students at 1 p.m.
- June 15 – Deadline to order VIDEO DOWNLOAD OF MAIN CEREMONY
- June 29 – Final day to make your SENIOR GIFT
Know Before You Go
- Confirm your permanent address with the University Registrar’s office – Here
- Undergraduate degrees will be awarded at the main ceremony, all other Graduate/Professional degrees will be awarded at individual ceremonies across campus. May graduates will receive their diploma when crossing the stage (provided your student account is clear).
- Pick up your regalia on the Wednesday or Thursday the week of Commencement @ Barnes & Noble at Vanderbilt.
- Business casual or nicer
- Men usually usually wear khakis/slacks and a button-down shirt (often with a tie)
- Women usually wear dresses and non-high heel shoes due to walking on grass.
Commencement exercises will be held on Alumni Lawn Friday morning. Candidates for degrees assemble no later than 8:25 am, according to their schools and alphabetically. There will be signs posted with alphabetized student names. Students should first look for their appropriate line (according to their degree) and then for their place in the alphabetical order. The procession of all candidates begins at 9 am sharp.
Arts and Science: Northeast corner of Rand Hall facing Alumni Lawn
- May 2018 degrees – Approximately first two-thirds of alphabet
Arts and Science: Southwest corner of Neely Auditorium facing Alumni Lawn
From the head of the line in the following order:
- 1st – May 2018 B.A. degrees – Approximately last third of alphabet
- 2nd – December 2017 B.A. degrees
- 3rd – August 2017 B.A. degrees
- Blair, Engineering, Divinity & OGSM: Southwest corner of Alumni Hall between Neely Auditorium
- Peabody and Nursing: East side of Kirkland Hall esplanade near Kissam and Dyer dormitories
Graduate School: Between McGill Hall and Tolman Hall facing Alumni Lawn
- This group includes School of Engineering – Master’s degree candidates
- This group includes School of Nursing – Ph.D. candidates
- Law and Medicine: Northwest corner of Sarratt Hall between Tolman Hall facing Alumni Lawn
Also note the location of your school on the Degree Candidates diagram located on the Maps page. There will be signs for each school posted. Once there you will be directed by the faculty and student marshals as to your order.
Do you have family or guests coming in from outside the United States that need travel documentation? Request an “Invitation Letter” for Commencement. For more information, please visit the International Student & Scholar Services website.
Senior Class Fund
This year, our goal is to achieve 75% (approx. 1,200 senior donors) class participation by graduation. Give now!