Administrated by the Vanderbilt Child and Family Center, this developmental kindergarten program offers an emergent curriculum informed by social constructivist thinking theories:
- Children learn best through play, constructing knowledge and making meaning by exploring their big ideas through hands-on and hands-in investigations.
- Peer engagement adds richness to the learning process.
- A learning framework that prioritizes Nature Education - children’s knowledge creation will be informed by their exploration of the Vanderbilt University campus.
- A learning focus on 21st Century Skills: creativity, communication, collaboration, and critical thinking.
- Children must turn five years of age by August 15, 2021
- VCFC will prioritize for enrollment in the Owls Program:
- Children currently enrolled in VCFC’s The Acorn School a PK class 2020-2021
- Children of Vanderbilt University faculty and staff, post-doctoral scholars, and students
- Children of VUMC-affiliated employees
- Children in Nashville and surrounding communities
- Children will be eligible for 1st Grade in August 2022
- OR parents may opt to enroll their child in an additional year of Kindergarten
- August 10, 2021 – June 3, 2022
- Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM
- On-site Before and After Care is available
- The Owls Program will be closed for all holidays observed by Vanderbilt University
- Convenient to Vanderbilt University’s main campus off Edgehill Avenue
- One of VCFC’s The Acorn School childcare facilities will host this program in an appropriate classroom designated for that sole purpose.
- Program activities will take full and frequent advantage of the Vanderbilt University campus and arboretum.
- A joy-filled life-long learner ready to engage with children
- An Early Childhood Educator with an MA/MS and a TN K-8 teaching credential
- A teacher adept at fostering language development and critical thinking skills in young children by empowering them to observe, listen, speak, investigate, and reflect
- $900/month August 2021 – May 2022
- A non-refundable application fee of $100 is required by December 15, 2020
- A non-refundable instructional supplies fee of $1200 is required by March 1, 2020
- Lunch and snacks, a child’s t-shirt, and field trips will be included in the tuition
- Before and after care will be offered on-site by The Acorn School for an additional fee:
- 7:00 AM - 8:30 AM $150/month
- 3:00 PM-6:00 PM $300/month
- For children not signed up for Before and After Care there is an early drop-off and late pick-up charge of $1 for each minute the child is on site before 8:25 AM and after 3:05 PM.
- One or more parents/guardians will attend the Owls Information Session at noon on November 11th email Linda Wilson, VCFC Administrative Officer that you are interested (Rsvp firstname.lastname@example.org) and the zoom link will be provided.
- Parents will complete the VCFC Owls Program Whoo Are You form and return it with their $100 application fee no later than December 15, 2020.
*Vanderbilt Child and Family Center recognizes that families interested in the Owls Developmental Kindergarten are taking a leap of faith by engaging in this pilot program and we are grateful.
Families are encouraged to continue to enroll in their public school options as this presents no conflict.
**Due to the investment of time and resources required by the development of innovative programming, VCFC reserves the right to cancel this program offering if an insufficient number of families (less than ten) choose to participate. If the Owls program is cancelled, VCFC will notify families by February 1, 2021.