Vanderbilt Acorn School FAQs
School hours are 7:30 AM – 5:30 PM
Lead Teachers are scheduled to open the classroom at 7:30 AM, to provide greeting and a Well Child check (symptoms that will exclude children from school are detailed in The Acorn Parent Handbook).
Children are required to be signed in at school by 10:00 AM (an exception will be made for pediatric appointments, with note, and for rare emergencies)
• All currently enrolled children are presumed to be continuing with The Acorn School next year and classroom planning for August 2023 will reflect this assumption. The exception to this rule is children turning five years of age by August 2023 are assumed to be moving into a kindergarten program – parents will indicate at their Spring Parent-Teacher conference if they intend to keep their five years old child one more year at The Acorn School.
• Thirty days written notice or the financial equivalent on one month’s tuition is required for disenrollment.
• Parent/guardian completes and submits the updated enrollment packet by June 15, 2023. Forms not received by this date will result in disenrollment (effective July 31st) as the child will not be placed on the class list for the upcoming school year. Forms will be available on the VCFC website under The Acorn School tab by May 1, 2023.
• Parents will be informed of class placement by July 21, 2023.
• Classroom Teacher Meet and Greet is August 4th from 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM
• Children start in their new class on Monday, August 7, 2023.
School will be closed for six staff in-service days annually, as outlined below and on the 2023-2024 Calendar.
The Acorn School is closed on the following holidays observed by Vanderbilt:
Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, day after Thanksgiving, Vanderbilt University Winter Break, New Year’s Day, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth
The Acorn School is closed for professional development teacher in-service on: July 31-August 4, 2023 and Friday, March 8, 2024
The Acorn School may be closed on designated chancellor days, including due to inclement weather and on days as identified by public health agencies as necessary to manage the spread of infectious disease. There is no tuition proration for dates of facility closure or child absences.
The Owls Kindergarten has different dates of closure, please refer to page 25 of the Owls Family Handbook.