Please check out Vanderbilt's Career Center for more resources.
March 1, 2021: Visiting Assistant Professor, Berry College - Mount Berry, GA
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Berry College, an ACS-approved program, invites applications for a visiting assistant professor position (9-month academic year, renewable up to 3 years) to begin in August 2021
Preference will be given to applicants who have completed the Ph.D. requirements in analytical chemistry, or a closely related field, by the time of appointment, but those with a Masters degree and relevant experience will also be considered (as a visiting lecturer). The successful candidate is expected to teach an analytical chemistry course and its laboratory, utilizing the wide variety of instrumentation in our department (including both chromatography and spectroscopy). Additional teaching responsibilities will include general chemistry and associated labs.
Applicants should submit the following: a letter describing the candidate's qualifications and interest in this position; a CV; unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts; a statement of teaching philosophy; a separate statement of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion that includes a declaration of experience with, and/or commitment to, teaching a diverse student body; and three letters of reference. Letters of reference, indicating the position in the subject line, may be submitted directly to email@example.com.
Review of applications will begin on March 1, 2021 and continue until the position is filled. Specific questions about the position may be sent directly to the chair of the search committee, Dr. Ken Martin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
December 1, 2020: Tenure-Track Faculty Positions, Northeastern University - Boston, MA
Applications received by December 15 will receive full consideration for all positions.
The Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology (“CCB”) (https://cos.northeastern.edu/chemistry-chemical-biology/) includes 27 tenured/tenure-track faculty, 30% of whom are women; nine full-time teaching faculty; four research faculty; and eight faculty with affiliated appointments. CCB was recognized as the most gender diverse faculty among the top 50 US Chemistry Departments in 2019. CCB enrolls approximately 150 undergraduate majors; 27 M.S. and PlusOne (BS/MS) students; and 80 Ph.D. students.
November 16, 2020: Assistant Professor, Sewanee, The University of the South - Sewanee, TN
The University of the South seeks a Visiting Assistant Professor of Chemistry for a full-time, one-year, non-tenure-track term appointment beginning in August 2021. Area of concentration is open.
Send a letter of application addressed to Deon Miles, Chair; curriculum vitae; graduate transcripts (unofficial accepted); a statement of teaching philosophy; and three letters of reference* through the online application portal. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
*Letters of reference may be submitted electronically personally from the referees or via dossier services to Kristen Godsey, Assistant for Finance and Administration, at email@example.com.
November 10, 2020: Assistant Professor, Lipscomb University - Nashville, TN
Lipscomb University's Department of Chemistry is searching to hire an assistant professor. They are open to hiring someone who is in the process of finishing their PhD and also willing to teach introductory Chemistry in the spring. If you are interested please contact Professsor Opaku-Duah at firstname.lastname@example.org or 615.966.5710 ext. 5710.
September 3, 2020: Associate Scientist, Johnson & Johnson - La Jolla, CA
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for an Associate Scientist, Discovery Chemistry, in La Jolla, CA (San Diego area).
We are seeking an experienced Bachelor’s- or Master’s-level medicinal chemist with excellent organic synthesis expertise to advance small molecule drug discovery programs toward the clinic. In this laboratory-based position, the successful candidate will partner with both internal and external medicinal chemistry teams to generate innovative solutions to synthetic and medicinal chemistry challenges within the context of small molecule drug discovery projects. She/he will maintain close interactions with computer assisted design scientists and biologists. Strong people skills and the ability to thrive in a team and goal driven environment are key attributes.
This individual must also excel in communication and have strong interpersonal skills necessary to influence in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment.
Responsibilities of the Associate Scientist include:
- Maintaining a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting.
- Developing and executing clear synthetic strategies towards complex molecules using state-of-the-art synthetic methodologies.
- Synthesizing drug-like molecules utilizing medicinal chemistry knowledge and an understanding of ADME, pharmacokinetics and optimal physicochemical properties.
- Collaboratively supporting the advancement of compounds through in vitro and in vivo studies to identify development candidates.
- Collaboration with structure-based design groups to impact rational design of molecules.
- Working on novel, testable hypotheses to enable clear decision making.
- Contributing to scientific strategies and goals within a project team setting.
- Presenting data and reports on project status at individual and group meetings.
- Generating data for and serving as co-author on research published in peer reviewed journals and presenting work at scientific conferences.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree with 2 or more years of synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry industry experience is required OR a minimum of a Master’s Degree in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry, or to be completed within 6 months, is required
- Significant research experience (1+ years) in multi-step synthesis of organic compounds and/or development of synthetic methodology is required.
- A deep knowledge of modern synthetic and analytical techniques (air-free reactions, silica gel chromatography, NMR and mass spectroscopy) is required.
- Experience in retrosynthetic analysis and strong understanding of reaction mechanism is required.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed publications, patents, and presentations is preferred. (Please include full list with your CV/resume.)
- Independent thinking and the ability to effectively collaborate in a highly matrixed environment is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including preparation of presentations is required.
- This position is based in our company location in San Diego, CA and may require less than 5% travel
June 17, 2020: Associate Sales Manager, Palm Commodities International, LLC – La Vergne, TN
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?To add to our valuable team of dedicated employees, Umicore is currently seeking an Associate Sales Manager in our Cobalt and Specialty Materials business unit, located at the Palm Commodities International, LLC facility in LaVergne, TN. This is an entry-level position, which will provide a promising candidate with the opportunity to gain sales experience with an international business.
About Cobalt and Specialty Materials
Mastering the cobalt value chain. Umicore's expertise covers the sourcing, production, and distribution of cobalt and nickel products. Umicore's materials are at the heart of products we use every day such as rechargeable batteries, tools, paints, and tires. Our recycling and refining processes give new life to cobalt and other metals and reduce environmental impacts. To meet the demands of our customers we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways of doing things, discover new solutions, and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
As our Associate Sales Manager you'll be responsible for sales process and marketing activities for surface finishing and other related products within our commercial department to drive growth of sales revenue and ensure profitable results. Specifically, this will include:
- Developing a complete understanding of sales processes, product offerings, and industries
- Contacting identified target accounts via telephone on a daily basis to develop customer relationships and facilitate sales
- Proposing pricing, recommending inventory programs, customer payment methodologies, and negotiating contracts
- Interfacing with Customer Service, Purchasing, and Compliance departments to support efficient processing of orders and responsiveness to customer needs
- Completing special projects as directed such as market analyses
- Other duties as needed
Our success is based on individuals who are ready to make the most of their skills and prepared to tackle any challenges they face. As well as your Bachelor's degree in Business or Chemistry/Related Sciences, we'll also be looking for:
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills at all levels of the organization with a measured sense of understanding for sensitive and confidential issues
- Ability to anticipate, recognize, and analyze potential risks and effectively create solutions
- Ability to develop and maintain strong customer relationships with patience and persistence
- Self-motivated and goal-oriented while being able to prioritize and work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong diplomacy and organizational skills
- Experience with internal or external sales and/or phone sales would be a plus