Please check out Vanderbilt's Career Center for more resources.
September 3, 2020: Associate Scientist, Johnson & Johnson - La Jolla, CA
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for an Associate Scientist, Discovery Chemistry, in La Jolla, CA (San Diego area).
We are seeking an experienced Bachelor’s- or Master’s-level medicinal chemist with excellent organic synthesis expertise to advance small molecule drug discovery programs toward the clinic. In this laboratory-based position, the successful candidate will partner with both internal and external medicinal chemistry teams to generate innovative solutions to synthetic and medicinal chemistry challenges within the context of small molecule drug discovery projects. She/he will maintain close interactions with computer assisted design scientists and biologists. Strong people skills and the ability to thrive in a team and goal driven environment are key attributes.
This individual must also excel in communication and have strong interpersonal skills necessary to influence in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment.
Responsibilities of the Associate Scientist include:
- Maintaining a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting.
- Developing and executing clear synthetic strategies towards complex molecules using state-of-the-art synthetic methodologies.
- Synthesizing drug-like molecules utilizing medicinal chemistry knowledge and an understanding of ADME, pharmacokinetics and optimal physicochemical properties.
- Collaboratively supporting the advancement of compounds through in vitro and in vivo studies to identify development candidates.
- Collaboration with structure-based design groups to impact rational design of molecules.
- Working on novel, testable hypotheses to enable clear decision making.
- Contributing to scientific strategies and goals within a project team setting.
- Presenting data and reports on project status at individual and group meetings.
- Generating data for and serving as co-author on research published in peer reviewed journals and presenting work at scientific conferences.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree with 2 or more years of synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry industry experience is required OR a minimum of a Master’s Degree in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry, or to be completed within 6 months, is required
- Significant research experience (1+ years) in multi-step synthesis of organic compounds and/or development of synthetic methodology is required.
- A deep knowledge of modern synthetic and analytical techniques (air-free reactions, silica gel chromatography, NMR and mass spectroscopy) is required.
- Experience in retrosynthetic analysis and strong understanding of reaction mechanism is required.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed publications, patents, and presentations is preferred. (Please include full list with your CV/resume.)
- Independent thinking and the ability to effectively collaborate in a highly matrixed environment is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including preparation of presentations is required.
- This position is based in our company location in San Diego, CA and may require less than 5% travel
June 30, 2020: Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor of Instruction, University Texas at Austin - Austin, TX
The Department of Chemistry at the University of Texas at Austin is seeking applicants for two full-time, non-tenure track teaching positions. Links to the position postings are here:
Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor of Instruction, https://apply.interfolio.com/76762
Associate or Full Professor of Instruction, https://apply.interfolio.com/76761
Both positions will be responsible for teaching undergraduate chemistry lecture courses. We are seeking applicants at all levels of experience. While eventual relocation to Austin is expected, all Fall 2020 lecture courses will be delivered online, which allows for a flexible relocation timeline.
June 17, 2020: Associate Sales Manager, Palm Commodities International, LLC – La Vergne, TN
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?To add to our valuable team of dedicated employees, Umicore is currently seeking an Associate Sales Manager in our Cobalt and Specialty Materials business unit, located at the Palm Commodities International, LLC facility in LaVergne, TN. This is an entry-level position, which will provide a promising candidate with the opportunity to gain sales experience with an international business.
About Cobalt and Specialty Materials
Mastering the cobalt value chain. Umicore's expertise covers the sourcing, production, and distribution of cobalt and nickel products. Umicore's materials are at the heart of products we use every day such as rechargeable batteries, tools, paints, and tires. Our recycling and refining processes give new life to cobalt and other metals and reduce environmental impacts. To meet the demands of our customers we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways of doing things, discover new solutions, and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
As our Associate Sales Manager you'll be responsible for sales process and marketing activities for surface finishing and other related products within our commercial department to drive growth of sales revenue and ensure profitable results. Specifically, this will include:
- Developing a complete understanding of sales processes, product offerings, and industries
- Contacting identified target accounts via telephone on a daily basis to develop customer relationships and facilitate sales
- Proposing pricing, recommending inventory programs, customer payment methodologies, and negotiating contracts
- Interfacing with Customer Service, Purchasing, and Compliance departments to support efficient processing of orders and responsiveness to customer needs
- Completing special projects as directed such as market analyses
- Other duties as needed
Our success is based on individuals who are ready to make the most of their skills and prepared to tackle any challenges they face. As well as your Bachelor's degree in Business or Chemistry/Related Sciences, we'll also be looking for:
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills at all levels of the organization with a measured sense of understanding for sensitive and confidential issues
- Ability to anticipate, recognize, and analyze potential risks and effectively create solutions
- Ability to develop and maintain strong customer relationships with patience and persistence
- Self-motivated and goal-oriented while being able to prioritize and work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong diplomacy and organizational skills
- Experience with internal or external sales and/or phone sales would be a plus