The Department of Chemistry is pleased to welcome 21 new graduate students this fall, admitted from a pool of over 400 applicants. They come from 12 different states and 13 different undergraduate colleges and universities. Ten have been awarded fellowships from the Vanderbilt Institute of Chemical Biology. In addition to their outstanding achievements in Chemistry, they bring with them a wide range of extra-curricular activities and achievements. Welcome to Vanderbilt!
Vanderbilt awarded its first Ph.D. in Chemistry in 1879, beginning a strong tradition of preparing Vanderbilt chemists for some of the most competitive careers in science. Today, Vanderbilt is a leader in government and private research funding, enabling the Vanderbilt Department of Chemistry to engage graduate students in world-class research at state-of-the-art facilities.
Interdisciplinary research is a hallmark of Vanderbilt, and our department emphasizes research in the areas of chemical biology, environmental chemistry, materials chemistry, and nanotechnology. Programs include:
- The Vanderbilt Institute of Chemical Biology
- Certificate Program in Chemical Biology
- The Vanderbilt Center for Structural Biology
- The Vanderbilt Institute of Nanoscale Science and Engineering
- The Vanderbilt Institute for Integrative Biosystems Research and Education
- The Chemistry-Biology Interface Training Program
- The Center for Molecular Toxicology
- Interdisciplinary Materials Science
- The Molecular Biophysics Training Program