Message from the Dean
I arrived at Vanderbilt on July 1 with great excitement, eager to begin my work as dean of the College of Arts and Science. The days since have flown by as we prepare for the return of students in a few short weeks.
I feel a special affinity with our first-year students. Like them, I’m starting a new, exhilarating chapter in my life; like them, I’m honored and thrilled to be joining a diverse and vibrant community at one of the world’s great universities.
In the days ahead, I want to engage that community—alumni, parents, faculty, staff and students—in building on our existing strengths and exploring new initiatives in learning, teaching, research and creative expression. Together we will forge an even more dynamic College of Arts and Science.
Arts & Science in the News
- ‘The Banjo’ musical conversation features Dubois and Flemons
- Access to health care strengthens communities: Vanderbilt study
- Vanderbilt experts can talk about inauguration and transition
- Peter Rousseau wins inaugural ‘Journal of Political Economy’ prize
- DNA duplicator small enough to hold in your hand
- Ann Patchett leads off spring 2017 Vanderbilt Visiting Writers
- Measuring elements of life in Milky Way
- Marilyn Murphy’s ‘Realism Subverted’ opens Jan. 19
- 2015 Hamblet Award winner exhibits work Jan. 12–Feb. 3
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation funds study of health, economic effects of LGBT-related laws