Message from the Dean
I arrived at Vanderbilt on July 1 with great excitement, eager to begin my work as dean of the College of Arts and Science. The days since have flown by as we prepare for the return of students in a few short weeks.
I feel a special affinity with our first-year students. Like them, I’m starting a new, exhilarating chapter in my life; like them, I’m honored and thrilled to be joining a diverse and vibrant community at one of the world’s great universities.
In the days ahead, I want to engage that community—alumni, parents, faculty, staff and students—in building on our existing strengths and exploring new initiatives in learning, teaching, research and creative expression. Together we will forge an even more dynamic College of Arts and Science.
Arts & Science in the News
- Four alumni to join Vanderbilt Student Media Hall of Fame in 2016
- Cave study designed to solve puzzle of prehistoric megadroughts in the western U.S.
- Social venture founded by Anthropology’s Ted Fischer wins $15,000 prize
- Astronomy, jazz and politics among VU Osher fall classes
- New center will examine addiction at molecular level, develop treatments
- Faculty Senate elects leadership for 2016-17
- Congressman Cooper honors Hamilton and Ramayya for superheavy element discovery
- Total number of neurons—not enlarged prefrontal region—hallmark of human brain
- Judaeo-Arabic culture focus of cross-disciplinary conference
- Discovery of male-harming DNA mutation reinforces ‘mother’s curse’ hypothesis