Message from the Dean
I arrived at Vanderbilt on July 1 with great excitement, eager to begin my work as dean of the College of Arts and Science. The days since have flown by as we prepare for the return of students in a few short weeks.
I feel a special affinity with our first-year students. Like them, I’m starting a new, exhilarating chapter in my life; like them, I’m honored and thrilled to be joining a diverse and vibrant community at one of the world’s great universities.
In the days ahead, I want to engage that community—alumni, parents, faculty, staff and students—in building on our existing strengths and exploring new initiatives in learning, teaching, research and creative expression. Together we will forge an even more dynamic College of Arts and Science.
Arts & Science in the News
- Kudos: Read about faculty and student awards and achievements
- Celebration honors nine endowed chair recipients
- Chancellor commends ROTC cadets for focus on ‘something bigger’ at Leadership Symposium
- Vanderbilt astrophysicist makes ‘The Root’s’ 100 List of Black Influencers
- Center for Research on Men’s Health opens at Vanderbilt
- Expanded vision for Arts and Science’s Classical and Mediterranean Studies
- Award recognizes excellence in children’s books that portray Latin American culture
- Study about how lying varies with age receives Ig Nobel Prize
- 2016 Vanderbilt Divinity and GDR Distinguished Alumni/ae named
- New rules for science researchers would mark an overdue ethics update