Message from the Dean
I arrived at Vanderbilt on July 1 with great excitement, eager to begin my work as dean of the College of Arts and Science. The days since have flown by as we prepare for the return of students in a few short weeks.
I feel a special affinity with our first-year students. Like them, I’m starting a new, exhilarating chapter in my life; like them, I’m honored and thrilled to be joining a diverse and vibrant community at one of the world’s great universities.
In the days ahead, I want to engage that community—alumni, parents, faculty, staff and students—in building on our existing strengths and exploring new initiatives in learning, teaching, research and creative expression. Together we will forge an even more dynamic College of Arts and Science.
Arts & Science in the News
- African American religious historian to give Harrod Lecture
- White supremacist activity spikes when Trump talks anti-immigration: Vanderbilt researcher
- Kudos: Read about faculty awards and achievements
- New faculty: Mattias K. Polborn studies the economics of political polarization
- Building stronger, more diverse pipeline of future faculty is aim of new postdoctoral program
- Vanderbilt social entrepreneurs to compete in 2017 Hult Prize Challenge
- Expert: Trump’s refusal to commit to honor vote has dangerous precedent
- Music writer summit features biographers of Springsteen, Dylan and Elvis
- Vanderbilt physicists Keivan Stassun and Kalman Varga elected APS fellows
- Today’s self-taught typists almost as fast as touch typists – as long as they can see the keyboard