Kaltura User Guide – Instructor
This guide will explain how instructors can use the Kaltura media tool in their Brightspace course. Kaltura can be used for uploading large video files to stream, creating video quizzes, and creating screen recordings.
Kaltura integrates with Brightspace in three different areas:
1) My Media – This is where users upload/create their media. My Media serves as a user’s media repository. Media remains here until a user chooses to publish it to a course. My Media is located on the navbar of the Brightspace homepage. It can always be easily accessed by clicking the Vanderbilt logo or Home icon at the top of any Brightspace page.
2) Media Gallery – Each Brightspace course contains a Media Gallery. Media published to the Media Gallery is visible by anyone enrolled in the course.
3) Insert Stuff – Anywhere inside of a course where users have access to the text box editor, they will also have access to the Insert Stuff button. The Insert Stuff button will allow users to access the My Media repository so that they can insert their media directly into the text box editor. Examples of course areas where this is useful: content description, discussion posts, assignment instructions, quiz questions.
How to use My Media
1) My Media is located on the navbar of the Brightspace homepage. It can always be easily accessed by clicking the Vanderbilt logo or Home icon at the top of any Brightspace page.
When accessing My Media for the first time, Brightspace will ask your permission to use Kaltura. Select the checkbox and then click Continue.
2) To begin adding media, click Add New
The choices here are:
Media Upload – This allows a user to upload media from their local computer. Media that can be uploaded includes video, audio, and image files.
Webcam Recording – This allows a user to record their webcam. NOTE: this feature will soon be replaced by CaptureSpace Lite.
CaptureSpace Lite – This allows users to record their webcam, screen, webcam + screen, or voice only.
Video Quiz – This allows users to embed questions within their videos. These questions are not connected to the grade book in any fashion. They remain only within the Kaltura video and are to be used as reflective questions for the viewer.
3) After adding media from one the above 4 choices, a list of your available media will be presented.
4) From this page you can sort, search, view, edit, and delete media.
Editing media allows for changing the file name, adding collaborators, editing thumbnails, trimming video, making a copy of videos, downloading media, and adding captions.
How to use Media Gallery
1) The Media Gallery is accessed from the navbar inside each course.
2) The Media Gallery contains any media that has been published to the Media Gallery and is viewable to all users in the course. To begin publishing media, click Add Media.
3) All media that has been added to My Media is now available for selecting and publishing. Select the desired media, then click Publish.
4) The media has now been published to the Media Gallery for all course users to view.
How to use Insert Stuff
1) Insert Stuff allows users to insert files, media, etc. into the course, including media from My Media.
2) When presented with the text box editor in a course, click the Insert Stuff icon.
3) Select My Media from the left menu.
4) Select the desired media, then click next.
5) Click Insert.
6) Click Update.