Audacity is a free, easy-to-use and multilingual audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems.
Use it to provide audio supplements to your online environment.
Audacity allows you to
- record live audio.
- record and edit a podcast.
- convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
- edit Ogg Vorbis, MP3, WAV or AIFF sound files.
- cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together.
- change the speed or pitch of a recording.
Use it as a tool for students to create podcasts.
Listen to some student Podcasts from the University of Chicago Law School
It’s flexible. Audacity runs on Mac, Windows, and GNU/Linux. It can capture streaming audio can be used to dub over existing tracks to create multi-track recordings.
It’s relatively easy to use. The program provides easy editing with cut, copy, paste and delete commands.
Finding desired functionality can be a challenge. The user interface is sometimes non-intuitive
For more, see reviews.