Considerations for Effectively Creating Educational Videos
With the integration of the Kaltura media tool within Blackboard, users of the CMS now have the ability to easily implement streaming video into their course or organization. If users are attempting to create their own educational videos for use in their course, CFT Assistant Director Cynthia Brame has written a teaching guide that outlines three effective elements for video design and implementation called “Effective Educational Videos.”
Cynthia’s teaching guide summary encourages the creators of educational videos to:
- Keep videos brief and targeted on learning goals.
- Use audio and visual elements to convey appropriate parts of an explanation; make them complementary rather than redundant.
- Use signaling to highlight important ideas or concepts.
- Use a conversational, enthusiastic style to enhance engagement.
- Embed videos in a context of active learning by using guiding questions, interactive elements, or associated homework assignments.
The teaching guide also mentions several video tools to help incorporate certain elements of video design: