Thesis Committee & Submission Requirements
MS candidates who have successfully completed their first-year course work and passed the first-year comprehensive examination should select a thesis advisor and thesis committee. The advisor, who will chair the committee, must hold a PhD in Biostatistics or Statistics and be a member of the Biostatistics Graduate Program faculty. The thesis committee includes one additional Vanderbilt faculty. PhD candidates in other disciplines who are completing a MS in Biostatistics are strongly encouraged to enlist a faculty member from their home department as the second committee member.
The thesis committee is responsible for guiding the student in their production of a thesis that provides evidence of original investigation in theoretical or applied biostatistical methods. The thesis may be as brief as a publishable paper detailing the biostatistical investigation accompanied by an introductory chapter. Details regarding intent to graduate and thesis submission can be found at: Vanderbilt University Graduate School Thesis Guide.
- The Department of Biostatistics requires that you email one PDF copy of your thesis to the Program Manager. You can also request one hardbound copy of your final thesis to be filed in the student library. You may submit your request with payment to: email@example.com (322-6849) with a request to send final copy to: Program Manager, Dept. of Biostatistics 2525 West End Avenue, Suite 1100.
- Review your student account on the student accounts website. Information is located on this site regarding your health insurance. You will want to know when it will end, if you have to complete a waiver and if there is a deadline for this.
Upon successful presentation of thesis – turn the following items in to your Program Manager:
- Your student ID badge
- All department keys and access badges
- If you have parking, please notify the parking garage to stop payments.
- Please inform us of your future plans and let your Program Manager know if we may include this information on the website.
Thesis Submission and Preparation for Graduation
You must complete the following steps when submitting your master’s thesis to the Graduate School:
- Students planning to graduate at the end of the fall, spring, or summer term should submit the Intent to Graduate form through YES. Students planning to graduate on one of the intra-term dates should instead complete the Intra-Term Application and submit as an administrative file in the VIREO profile. See Graduate School Calendar for pertinent deadline dates.
- Obtain final approval of your document content from your thesis/dissertation director and committee members.
- Follow the Guidelines set forth in the Thesis and Dissertation Guidelines for assistance with formatting.
- Schedule an appointment with a format editor for final discussions and approval from the Graduate School: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Following Graduate School format approval, electronically submit final document in VIREO.