Skip to main content


Individuals currently employed in H-1B visa status who have been offered employment with Vanderbilt University, have the benefit of portability. Per American Competitiveness in the 21st Century Act (or AC21) regulations, individuals are eligible to commence employment with VU as early as the date the petition is filed and received by USCIS. Individuals may travel and re-enter the US and begin working for VU even if their H-1B petition requesting a transfer to VU is pending as long as they have a valid H-1B visa and evidence of a timely filed H-1B petition. H-1B visas issued for one employer may be used for entry to the US to work for another employer.