Saraswathi Narayanan College - B.S. in Physics
Indian Institute of Science - Ph.D.
Sevu grew up in India, and at age 18 attended Saraswathi Narayanan College in Madurai, Tamil Nadu, earning his B.S in physics in 1995. From there he earned the equivalent of a coursework Master's degree from Anna University two years later. While at Anna University, Sevu worked on characterizing the superconducting material
Sr2RuO4. Sevu went on to attend the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore, earning a research Master's degree and his Ph.D for his work on ion dynamics in non-linear Paul traps and Viterbi encoding and decoding using VHDL. In 2005, Sevu came to the U.S. to work as a post doctoral fellow with Dr. Clemmer at Indiana University. While there he worked towards determination of single amino acid polymorphisms (SAAP) using split-field drift tube/ion mobility mass spectrometry (IM-MS), calculation of cross sections of protein molecules using IM-MS, as well as transfer of structural elements from compact to extended states in unsolvated ubiquitin. Sevu came to the McLean group in November of 2006, and currently studies the structural behavior of different charge states of melittin ions under different temperatures using IM-MS technique and using microfluidic devices for studying cellular response to different stimuli. He also works extensively on building/improving the custom built ESI source (pictured) that he has designed for our IM-MS instrument.
- A Dual-Source Electrospray/MALDI Ion Mobility-Mass Spectrometer for Biomolecular Structural Characterization. (In Preparation).
- Collision cross section measurement and structural changes of different charge states of melittin molecule. (In Preparation)
- Koeniger, S. L.; Merenbloom, S. I.; Sevugarajan, S.; Clemmer, D. E., Transfer of structural elements from compact to extended states in unsolvated ubiquitin. Journal of the American Chemical Society 2006, 128, 11713-11719.
- Valentine, S. J.; Sevugarajan, S.; Kurulugama, R. T.; Koeniger, S. L.; Merenbloom, S. I.; Bohrer, B. C.; Clemmer, D. E., Split-field drift tube/mass spectrometry and isotopic labeling techniques for determination of single amino acid polymorphisms. Journal of Proteome Research 2006, 5 (8), 1879-1887.
- Sevugarajan, S.; Menon, A. G., Transition curves and iso-beta(u) lines in nonlinear Paul traps. International Journal of Mass Spectrometry 2002, 218 (2), 181-196.
- Sevugarajan, S.; Menon, A. G., A simulation study of coupled secular oscillations in nonlinear Paul trap mass spectrometers. International Journal of Mass Spectrometry 2001, 209 (2-3), 209-226.
- Sevugarajan, S.; Menon, A. G., Frequency perturbation in nonlinear Paul traps: a simulation study of the effect of geometric aberration, space charge, dipolar excitation, and damping on ion axial secular frequency. International Journal of Mass Spectrometry 2000, 197, 263-278.
- Sevugarajan, S.; Menon, A. G., Field imperfection induced axial secular frequency shifts in nonlinear ion traps. International Journal of Mass Spectrometry 1999, 189 (1), 53-61.