Interested in working at the Writing Studio? During the academic year, we employ Vanderbilt students as Office Assistants and as Undergraduate and Graduate Writing Consultants. We hire Office Assistants whenever we have an available opening (typically, at the start of a new semester). We hire new Writing Consultants each spring semester to fill vacancies for the upcoming school year.
Office Assistants: 6-10 hours per week
Undergraduate Consultants: 8 hours per week
Graduate Consultants: 8-20 hours per week
More informaton on Undergraduate Consultant Positions
More information on Graduate Writing Consultant Positions
- attend training and regular staff meetings each semester.
- hold one-to-one consultation sessions across disciplinary boundaries with student-writers of all skill levels and learning styles.
- create and facilitate workshops and generate relevant handouts.
- conduct classroom visits.
- engage in periodic mentoring sessions with other consultants.
- attend Writing Studio sponsored events.
- participate in and develop Writing Studio outreach programs.
Students who demonstrate engagement and growth in the position are invited to return as consultants from one academic year to the next.
Undergraduate Consultants are nominated by Vanderbilt faculty. To earn nominations, students must have an overall GPA of 3.5 or better and demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills. Good candidates for the position are thoughtful academic writers who produce strong essays and have the ability to engage in constructive dialogue about writing. Candidates should also be intellectually curious and professional.
After receiving a nomination and in order to be considered for an interview, applicants for peer consultant positions submit an application letter along with two writing samples.
Graduate Consultants must provide a statement of support from a departmental Director of Graduate Studies verifying availability for employment in the Writing Studio. Candidates must submit a CV, statement on teaching, and cover letter demonstrating specific interest in and dedication to the teaching of writing.
- help manage the Writing Studio schedule, database, library, and files.
- greet clients and introduce clients to consultants.
- answer telephone inquiries.
- assist staff with a variety of tasks, including mass mailings, postings, research, and data collection.
When we hire office assistants, we look for students who are friendly and comfortable interacting with peers, faculty, parents, and administrators. We also look for students with excellent time management skills, capable of juggling many tasks in a busy work environment.
For more detailed information about the consultant application process call the Writing Studio at 615-343-2225 with specific questions.