Our premier ensemble, the "Spirit of Gold," is a 200-member performing unit adding music and pageantry to the excitement of Commodore Football.
- MEMBERSHIP is open to all Vanderbilt students as well as students from other Nashville-area colleges, including Belmont, Lipscomb, Trevecca, and Fisk Universities.
- AUDITIONS are held at BAND CAMP for all sections.
- SCHOLARSHIPS are awarded to all "Spirit of Gold" members who successfully complete the season.
- COST: There are no required costs for uniforms, instruments, music or travel. "Spirit of Gold" Members are responsible for providing their own black MARCHING shoes.
- REHEARSALS are TUESDAY, THURSDAY & FRIDAY (When active on Saturday) 4:30-6:30 p.m. and before home games -- No Extra Rehearsals!
A 50-member Basketball Band helps create the legendary "Memorial Magic" in Memorial Gym for both Men's and Women's Basketball games. Membership in the "Spirit of Gold" Marching Band is prerequisite to play in the Basketball Band and students receive additional scholarships for participation.
This 30-piece indoor marching ensemble is a stage production unlike any other. Encorps performs during the Spring semester at basketball games and various other community events. Auditions are held in the fall for this highly selective group.
The Vanderbilt University Community Concert Band (VCCB) is a traditional concert band playing music from the standard band repertoire. Membership is comprised of undergraduate, graduate and professional students, as well as University Faculty and Staff, local band directors, and members of the Nashville Community. The ensemble is open for all to join and there are no auditions or fees. The VCCB meets during the Spring semester of each academic year.
The Commodore Jazz Machine is a 6 to 8-piece ensemble which performs throughout the academic year, giving public concerts and providing entertainment for various campus events. Auditions are held each September, and those students selected receive an annual scholarship.