Home » About VHIG
The Vanderbilt Healthcare Improvement Group (VHIG) is an interprofessional community of Vanderbilt education, management, medicine, and nursing students committed to advancing education and student participation in quality improvement in health care. We are part of a global network of Open School chapters supported by the Cambridge, Massachusetts-based Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI).
We are front line clinicians, engaged members of academic communities, and junior members of our professions with diverse experience in health care. We are constant witnesses to opportunities for improvement. We have supportive attitudes towards each other’s professions. We have an optimistic outlook towards a collaborative approach to health care improvement. We are committed to increasing the safety and improving the quality of patient care at our affiliated facilities and institutions. We are the future leaders of our fields.
The mission of VHIG is to advance education and student participation in quality improvement in health care.
We will create a network of health professionals and foster increased collaboration between health professions students. We will educate health professions students in the principles of patient safety and quality improvement and develop their skills in these fields. We will accelerate the pace of quality improvement at the hospitals and clinics of Vanderbilt University and the surrounding community. We will participate in scholarly research in patient safety and quality improvement and publicize our activities and accomplishments.
We will be guided by the following beliefs:
…that health professions students and working health care professionals can work together effectively toward the common goals of increased patient safety and improved quality of care
…that health professions students are an untapped resource in patient safety and quality improvement circles
…that the collaborative potential of an interprofessional group of students far exceeds the potential of any group of students from a single profession
…that opportunities for increasing the safety and improving the quality of health care services for patients can be identified by all members of an academic or health care community and that these efforts can be directed from the bottom up
…that quality improvement is a continuous process and that the identification of an opportunity for improvement does not imply that deficit or failure exist.
Networking and Collaboration: create a network of health professionals and foster increased collaboration between health professions students
- Create a database of members and mentors that will connect individuals with common interests and goals
- Invite patient safety and quality improvement scholars and stakeholders to speak at special functions
- Maintain channels of communication with the global IHI Open School network
Education and Skill Development: educate health professions students in the principles of patient safety and quality improvement and develop their quality improvement skills
- Develop core curricular and elective courses in quality improvement and patient safety at Vanderbilt University that will serve as practical complements to the IHI Open School’s online curriculum
- Create quality improvement & patient safety tracks or concentration areas at our affiliated schools that will train the next generation of leaders in quality improvement
- Promote IHI Open School resources, including online courses in quality improvement & patient safety, and encourage student participation in IHI-sponsored conferences, especially the annual National Forum
Quality Improvement: accelerate the pace of quality improvement at the hospitals and clinics of Vanderbilt University and the surrounding community
- Participate in patient safety and quality improvement projects already underway at affiliated facilities and institutions
- Identify new opportunities for increasing the safety and improving the quality of health care services for patients at affiliated facilities and institutions
- Participate in Open School-wide quality improvement projects and initiatives
Scholarship and Promotion: participate in scholarly research in patient safety and quality improvement and publicize our activities and accomplishments
- Present or publish results of patient safety or quality improvement projects at relevant conferences and in peer-reviewed journals
- Increase opportunities for student involvement in scholarly research in patient safety and quality improvement modeled after the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine’s Emphasis Program
- Publicize activities and accomplishments through online and print media and create multimedia resources to provide information and document the progress of the organization
For More Information
Read more about VHIG in the 2011 IHI Annual Report “Leading the New Way”, which featured an article on our chapter on pages 18-19.
Download the VHIG Fact Sheet for a brief overview of VHIG.