The Vanderbilt Healthcare Improvement Group (VHIG) is an interprofessional community of Vanderbilt education, management, medicine, and nursing students committed to advancing education and student participation in quality improvement in health care. We are a chapter of the Cambridge, Massachusetts-based Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) Open School for Health Professions, a global network of interprofessional educational communities that gives students the skills to become change agents in health care improvement.
Read more about VHIG in the 2011 IHI Annual Report “Leading the New Way”, which featured an article on our chapter on pages 18-19.
Download the VHIG Fact Sheet for a brief overview of VHIG.
VHIG Awards and Recognitions
- One of three student-led initiatives featured in a moderated plenary session at the 2011 Southern/Northeast Regional Meeting of the Association of American Medical College’s (AAMC) GSA/OSR/DAO/SAAHP in Nashville, TN (April 2011): “Working in Concert: Fostering Student-Led Programmatic Improvements” Working in Concert Presentation Handout
- Poster presented at the 2011 International Forum on Quality & Safety in Healthcare in Amsterdam, The Netherlands (April 2011): “Electronic Checklist in the Operating Room Increases Surgical Team Compliance with Pre-incision Safety Practices”
- Initiatives and accomplishments presented to the Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) Quality and Patient Safety Council (February 2011)
- Abstract for Fundamentals of Quality Improvement in Health Care elective accepted for June 2011 AAMC Integrating Quality Meeting (February 2011)
- Highlighted by VUMC’s Chief Quality Officer, Julie Morath, in a monthly report to the Clinical Enterprise Executive Committee, which comprises the chief executives across VUMC and reports directly to the Vanderbilt University’s Board of Trustees (December 2010)
- Fundamentals of Quality Improvement in Health Care elective recognized at the 2010 Academy for Healthcare Improvement (AHI) International Scientific Symposium on Improving the Quality and Value of Health Care in Orlando, FL: elective received “Special Recognition for Excellence in a Student-Led Curricular Initiative“ in the competition for the AHI Duncan Neuhauser Curricular Innovation Award (December 2010)
- One of only 11 IHI Open School chapters selected to present its accomplishments at the 3rd Annual IHI Open School Chapter Congress in Orlando, FL (December 2010)
- Featured in the 2011 IHI Annual Report “Leading the New Way” (see pages 18-19)
- Posters presented at the 22nd Annual IHI National Forum on Quality Improvement in Health Care in Orlando, FL (December 2010):
- “The Vanderbilt Healthcare Improvement Group: A Chapter of the IHI Open School for Health Professions‘
- “Electronic Checklist in the Operating Room Increases Surgical Team Compliance with Pre-incision Safety Practices”
- “Patient Satisfaction Survey at the Shade Tree Clinic: A Tool for Quality Improvement Measures in a Student-Run Clinic“
- “Fundamentals of Quality Improvement in Health Care: An Interdisciplinary Elective“
- “The Quality Improvement Practicum: An Elective for Senior Medical Students“
- Poster presented at the 21st Annual IHI National Forum on Quality Improvement in Health Care in Orlando, FL (December 2009): “The Vanderbilt Chapter of the IHI Open School for Health Professions“