Small battery recycling containers have been placed at several convenient locations for used batteries generated from work-related activities. Acceptable batteries include normal alkaline batteries, such as AA, AAA, C, D, etc., as well as rechargeable batteries, such as nickel-cadmium, lithium ion, and nickel-metal hydride batteries, from cell phones, PDAs, and portable equipment. When recycling a rechargeable battery, please place tape over the metal contacts to prevent metal-on-metal contact. Locations include:
- Commons Center and Sarratt Student Center main desks;
- Library entrances at Heard, Stevenson, Blair, Owen, and Peabody Libraries;
- Outdoor Recreation Center main desk;
- Bryan Building and Peabody Maintenance Building lobbies;
- Buttrick Hall (Room 029);
- Home Economics Room 209 (break room);
- Neely Auditorium (outside room 206);
- Olin Hall, Room 101;
- Stevenson Center, 6th Floor Physics Building (across from elevators);
- Wyatt Center 1st floor information desk (atrium area);
- 1025 16th Avenue South Building, Room 120;
- All student Reeve desk locations (for residential students only); and
- HR Express/Commodore Concierge locations in VUMC (Medical Center North main lobby, Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital second floor off sky-bridge from the South Garage)
Large batteries from Vanderbilt-owned equipment (towmotors, vehicles, etc.) can be collected by submitting a Waste Collection Form through Vanderbilt’s normal waste collection process.
If you wish to recycle your batteries from home, put your zip code and “batteries” into the search field at Earth 911 to find the recycling location nearest you.
This program is brought to you by the Sustainability and Environmental Management Office (SEMO), Plant Operations, HR Express, and the Office of Housing and Residential Education (OHARE).
For questions about chemical waste collection, visit the VEHS website.