Posted in NEWS on Thursday, March 21st, 2013
A student intern position in the VU Sustainability and Environmental Management Office (SEMO) will be available full-time from mid-May through mid-August.
The sustainability intern will assist SEMO in coordinating and promoting sustainability programs, primarily recycling, across campus and the medical center. The sustainability intern will assist primarily with evaluating options to improve athletics recycling, assisting with SEMO preparation for upcoming 2013 AASHE conference to be held in Nashville, developing an online inventory of recycling container locations, and implementing improvements to Vanderbilt’s campus recycling program as a result of a recent conveyance study.
The intern might also assist with VU’s greenhouse gas emissions inventory, energy conservation projects, Eco-Dore program planning, laboratory greening research, and design and management of websites/social media. The intern will also assist SEMO with general sustainability functions, such as data entry, responding to routine questions, developing new website material, and other sustainability-related programs. The intern will also conduct background research to assist sustainability staff as new projects arise.
The position pays $11/hour, full-time between 8:00am-4:30pm, Monday through Friday from mid-May through mid-August. Must be a current Vanderbilt student returning in Fall 2013.
Applicants for the sustainability intern position should have the following:
- Availability for the majority of the summer with no long vacation or travel planned;
- Superior analytical and organizational skills and attention to detail;
- An interest in recycling, sustainability, environmental management, and resource conservation;
- The ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing;
- Excellent computer skills with website management familiarity, various database, word processing, and spreadsheet software; and
- Well-developed internet research skills.
Interviews will be required, and potential submittal of unofficial transcripts and/or writing samples may be requested.
Interested students should provide a short statement of interest and a resume to Andrea George via email at email@example.com no later than Monday, April 8, 2013.