Expanded recycling available at home football games
Posted in NEWS on Wednesday, August 29th, 2012
Recycling will be available at Vanderbilt football’s season opener against South Carolina Aug. 30 and at all home games this year. The Sustainability and Environmental Management Office (SEMO), Students Promoting Environmental Awareness and Responsibility (SPEAR) and Vanderbilt Athletics are teaming up to collect plastic, aluminum cans and cardboard again this season. In addition, Vanderbilt is partnering this year with Waste Management, Inc. to collect all recyclable plastics (numbers 1-7).
Tips to minimize waste while tailgating:
- Bring reusable food containers, utensils, plates and cups
- Bring items that have as little packaging as possible
- Bring only what food and beverages you need for your tailgate; try to minimize leftovers
- Take home and reuse the commemorative Commodore cups from the concession stand
- Recycle all plastics (numbers 1-7) and aluminum cans in bins located on the concourse, at the gates and near every tailgate area, or give them to the recycling staff
- Bring six bottles or aluminum cans to the Waste Management booth in Vandyville and win a prize
One lucky Commodore fan that gets caught “green handed” recycling during tailgating will win a premium souvenir autographed by head football coach James Franklin. So show your Vanderbilt pride, anchor down and tackle recycling.
Volunteers who want to help with recycling efforts at football games should contact SEMO at email@example.com or (615) 343-7284.