Skip to Content

Summer Sessions

Home > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Application, Enrollment, and Registration Information

How many sessions are offered at Vanderbilt University each summer?

  • We offer four sessions or terms each summer. May Session is an intensive period where students may enroll in one three-credit hour course. First session occupies the first half of the summer and the second session occupies the second half. Full session spans the entire summer from June through August. See the Schedule of Courses for specific courses offered in each summer session..

Who can take classes at Vanderbilt University?

  • Current Vanderbilt students
  • Students studying through the Division of Unclassified Studies

If I am a student at Vanderbilt, do I have to apply to Summer School?

  • No, admission to Summer Sessions is open to full- and part-time Vanderbilt students.

Is Summer School open to anyone?

  • The Division of Unclassified Studies (DUS) provides an opportunity for qualified students to take courses at Vanderbilt who are visiting/transient students working toward a degree at another institution (students in this category may not remain enrolled in the division for more than two regular semesters and one summer session). See the DUS web site for details

Who attends Vanderbilt Summer School?

  • Generally, college students who are hoping to get ahead in their curriculum requirements, who are trying to catch up on credit hours after changing majors, or who are seeking to expand their own knowledge in another way. Summer Session is also a good time to pursue an overseas or off-campus academic experience that might otherwise not fit within the usual academic year.

When do I register?

  • For regular Vanderbilt students, on-line registration is available beginning March 24. Students may register for May, 1st, 2nd, and full session courses at this time. Students may also register in person on the dates specified on the Calendar at their home school Registrar’s Office and on YES.
  • DUS students register the day prior to the beginning of the term. Registration details will be communicated to accepted students.
  • For Study Abroad courses, contact the Global Education Office or the instructor for additional registration details.
  • Applications for Maymesters Abroad must be received by January 30th at the latest

When are May, 1st and 2nd session course held?

  • On-line (YES) registration for all Summer Sessions Courses begins March 28th. 
  • Maymester in 2016 runs from May 9th until June 3rd
  • First summer session classes are held June 7th until July 7th, with exams on July 8th
  • Second summer session classes are held July 12th until August 11th, with exams on August 12th.

The complete summer Session Calendar can be found at

How many hours may I take each session?

  • Students may only take one course (3-4 credit hours) in May Session. Students may enroll in 1st and 2nd session for up to two courses each session. Students requesting more than two courses in either 1st or 2nd any session must consult with their associate dean or school registrar.

Courses, Programs, and Grades

What kinds of courses are offered?

  • A wide range of courses in most disciplines are offered in the summer. Students can select from pre-med courses, creative arts, social sciences, education, engineering and the humanities.

Do grades and credits count towards graduation?

  • Yes, for Vanderbilt students grades and credits are counted towards graduation. For visiting/transient students, transfer of credits and grades are determined by the home institution.

What kinds of off-campus opportunities are offered?

  • A number of 2016 Maymester courses are available off-campus domestically and internationally. The 2016 List of Maymesters will be available by November 14th.
  • The Global Education Office offers more than 90 programs overseas for direct Vanderbilt credit. 

Financial Information

Is financial aid available for summer?

  • The Office of Student Financial Aid will accept applications for financial assistance for summer study. A student will be considered for Vanderbilt need-based grant assistance if the student is required by his or her school to attend summer school or will be able to graduate early by attending. Institutional loan funds may be available on a limited basis.
  • Vanderbilt students may receive additional information at the Office of Student Financial Aid, 2309 West End Avenue, Nashville,Tennessee 37203. Telephone: (615) 322-2561.
  • Beginning April 1, students may apply online for summer assistance at The priority deadline to apply for summer financial aid is May 1.
  • Visiting/transient or transient students are not eligible to receive Vanderbilt institutional assistance administered by the Office of Student Financial Aid.

What if I decide to drop all my classes once I am enrolled for Summer School?

  • Students who withdraw from the University for any reason after the beginning of a term may be entitled to a partial refund in accordance with a schedule available from the Office of Student Accounts, 100 Baker Building, and from the Registrar of each school.  For details on the refund schedule, consult:
  • Students who withdraw from all of their summer courses must complete the appropriate withdrawal paper work available in their Registrar's Office.

How do I pay my bill?

  • The Office of Student Accounts accepts payments in cash, check, and credit card. Payments may be made in person, by mail, or, by fax—if you are using a credit card.The University does not offer a deferred payment plan.
  • DUS students must pay in full at the time of registration.

How much does it cost?

  • Tuition and Fees for May Summer Session and Regular Summer Sessions are charged at the same rate for undergraduates enrolled for 15-18 hours. However, tuition for 15 hours or less or more than 18 hours is charged at the 2015 rates that will be published soon. Some travel courses entail extra fees and may incur additional expenses for meals or airfare.

Services and Student Life

Can I use the Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center?

  • All students, except DUS enrollees, pay the activities and recreation (TBD) in order to use the facilities. For more information, visit:

Are meal plans available?

Is on-campus housing available during the summer?

  • Yes, Summer Session students live in air-conditioned single or double rooms. In addition, a minimal Inter-Residence Hall Association activity fee is charged for the summer session. For information and applications, contact the Housing Registrar, Office of Housing and Residential Education, VU Station B #351677, 2301 Vanderbilt Place, Nashville, Tennessee 37235-1677.