Home » Starting a Student Org
Starting a Student Org
Students who want to start a new student organization at Vanderbilt need to complete a registration form. The registration process for a new student organization takes approximately 4 weeks. The process serves to assure that the organization’s goals are in line with University policy and to provide contact information to the Office of the Dean of Students and the University population at large. Organizations are encouraged to examine their missions and memberships and to set goals for the academic year.
Student organizations are required to provide a current constitution each year. The copy of the constitution must accompany the signature page at the end of the registration form (a pdf document). Each organization must receive approval from the Office of Student Organizations in order to be considered a Vanderbilt organization and to receive the following services:
- Use of the Vanderbilt University name to identify institutional affiliation
- Use of University meeting rooms and facilities for free or reduced rate
- The opportunity to use equipment in the Sarratt Student Center
- Free organizational consulting and training by University administrators
- Membership on VULEADER, the student leader list-serve, maintained by Student Organizations
- Eligibility to apply for funding from various sources on campus
- Use of the Vanderbilt accounting system, with financial planning consultation available
- Access to organizational mailbox
- Access to free publicity in publications and submit events to the online University Calendar (http://calendar.vanderbilt.edu).
- Use of campus bulletin boards and kiosks to promote organizational activities
In addition, student organizations must have officers and advisers. Officers must maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA, and may not be on academic or disciplinary probation. Officers must be full-time registered students as defined by their colleges or schools. Advisers must be faculty or staff who are full-time, permanent employees of the University.
If you’d like more information about starting a new student organization at Vanderbilt, please call the Office of Student Organizations at 322-2471.