Hiring International Students
Steps for Hiring International Students
International students are typically not eligible for the FWS program and may only work under the Institutional Employment (IE) program. If the student has not found a position, but would like to search for one, you may refer them to the HireADore job bank to peruse a list of available positions or refer them to this website. Once a position is offered, all international students should take the following steps:
If the student does not have a social security number: The student should take along an authorized letter/form from the Vanderbilt University International Student & Scholars Services (ISSS) with appropriate signatures documenting the person has a job or job offer, along with immigration documents, to the Social Security Administration(SSA). The student should obtain a receipt from SSA showing application of their social security number.
The closest office to Vanderbilt is:
View Larger Map
SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
120 ATHENS WAY
NASHVILLE, TN 37228
W-4: The Vanderbilt HR Tax Office uses an online system called International Tax Navigation (ITN). Hiring administrators should access the website www.vanderbilt.edu/visit and complete "Request for PHN & ITN Access" found on the Quick Links on the Home Page.
Note: Request for PHN will not be issued to Vanderbilt Foreign students, so answer to this question should be "NO".
Once the form is complete, they should click on "Submit". This form will automatically be sent to our group mail email@example.com. Access and information and/or instructions to complete the process will be sent to the student. Should the student need additional assistance please send them to VU HR Tax Office located on the 5th floor at 2525 West End Ave.
International Tax Office reviews/completes:
- Tax Treaty forms, if applicable
- The Tax Summary Report (TSR)
- I-9: The student will complete this process at Vanderbilt HR Office located at 2525 West End Ave. The student will need a copy of their social security card or the SS5 receipt issued by the Social Security Administration.
Hiring department reviews/completes:
- Personnel Action Form (PAF) ~ A US-issued Social Security number is required or proof that one has been applied for. Attach a copy of the SSA receipt (a copy also sent to the International Tax Office).
- Personal Information Form and Check Distribution form
- Forward to Student Employment in the Office of Student Financial Aid at 2309 West End Ave.
- International students are limited to working 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters. Full-time employment (21-40 hours per week) is allowed during vacation periods and Summer for enrolled and continuing students.