Skip to main content

Employer FAQs

    • Why should I hire a federal work study (FWS) eligible student to work in my department?

      Each year the US Department of Education allocates FWS funds to Vanderbilt University to offer to eligible students. Therefore, a student working in your department will have their wages supplemented by at predetermined percentage through the FWS award. Each student may be eligible for a different amount as determined through a federal application and methodology formula.

    • Are students assigned an employment position when awarded FWS funds?

      A FWS award does not equate to an employment position. Students must initiate their employment. Each August, Student Employment holds a Job Fair for all FWS students and employers. If you are interested in hiring a student in your department, please have them complete the Federal Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) by visiting the Office of Student Financial Aid website.

    • How do I advertise a position open in my department?

      Employers are encouraged to list any positions in the student job listings database, HireADore. Both FWS and Institutional Employment applicants (students) will use this to search for positions of interest. Employers may also approach students for whom they are interested in working and discuss employment opportunities. Hiring a FWS eligible student benefits your department budget through savings on the wages paid.

    • Do students have to pay taxes on the wages that they earn?

      Yes, student wages are subject to federal taxes. However, student employees normally do not have to pay FICA (Social Security) taxes if a student is enrolled at least part time and is working less than 30 hours each week.

    • What should a student do if his/her paycheck is lost or stolen?

      Students will need to report this immediately to Student Employment at 615-343-4562. They will contact the Vanderbilt HR Payroll Office who will put a "stop payment" on the check and will then issue a new check. This process usually takes at least five (5) working days.

    • What should students do if they think an error was made on their paycheck?

      Employers and students are encouraged to keep records of time worked. The administrative assistant responsible for payroll paperwork in their home department should review with the student a copy of their timesheet and paycheck advice.  If a review of these documents indicates that the student was shorted or overpaid, the administrative assistant should contact Student Employment at 615-343-4562 in order to assist the student in resolving the problem.

    • Is it possible for a student to work in more than one job at Vanderbilt?

      Students may work more than one job, however, undergraduates are limited to working a total of 19 hours a week TOTAL for all jobs and graduate/professional students are limited to working a total of 29.5 hours a week.

      Students should inform all supervisors that they work more than one job. It will be necessary for the hiring department to complete a FWS Action Form and/or PAF for each job a student holds. Departments should not add their budget center to another departments PAF. Working more than one FWS position usually means that the student will earn his/her FWS award sooner, depending on the number of hours he/she works and the total amount of the award. Both the student and the supervisor(s) will be notified when the student is close to earning the full award. If a student earns his/her full FWS award before the end of the year, Student Employment will switch the student to an Institutional Employment position automatically. Each department will need to decide whether they can continue to employ the student as an Institutional Employee and pay 100% of the hourly wage.

    • How can I check my student employees total earnings to date?

      Once all student hiring paperwork is entered into the HR Processing system the student has access to view their wages earned to date. The student should log onto the C2HR system. The hiring department should compare the reported earnings to the student initial award on the FWS Contract. However, FWS awards are subject to change according to federal regulations. Your student may access their FWS award total at any time by logging into the YES portal. A wage calculator for employers convenience may be found under FORMS in the For Employer section of this Website.