Interested in Tutoring
You can tutor if…
- you are a graduate or upper level (junior or senior) undergraduate student currently at Vanderbilt,
- have a GPA of 3.2 or higher,
- have received a B+ or higher in the class(es) you intend to tutor,
- are recommended by at least one Vanderbilt faculty member,
- and are approved during the interview process.
To apply, submit our Tutoring Questionnaire.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the pay?
A: We pay between $10-15 an hour, depending on experience and year in school.
Q: How many hours per week would be required?
A: The hours vary. How much you want to tutor really depends on you and the demand for your services.
Q: When do the tutoring sessions take place?
A: Most tutoring appointments are scheduled Sunday-Thursday between 7:00pm-10:00pm. Although most tutoring does occur in the evenings, there is a need for tutoring during some daytime hours and weekends.
Q: Where does tutoring occur?
A: All tutoring must take place in the Stratton Foster Academic Center, located in the McGugin Center. Quiet tutoring rooms are available for individual and group tutoring.
Q: What subjects can I tutor?
A: We want you to only tutor courses in which you received a B+ or higher. Some tutors are exempted from certain classes and these courses could be a possibility as well.
Q: Can I tutor if I have another job on campus?
A: Yes, you can tutor if you have another job on campus, but may not work more than 20 hours per week if you are an undergraduate and 29.5 hours per week if you are a graduate student.
Q: What would restrict me from tutoring?
A: Several factors could keep you from tutoring, including:
- Scholarship or fellowship restrictions,
- Work Study restrictions,
- Financial Aid restrictions,
- Visa status,
- Campus employment regulations,
- Lack of sufficient recommendation,
- Do not meet grade requirement.