Home » Student-Athletes of the Month » Shelby Moats-Men’s Basketball

Shelby Moats-Men’s Basketball

Shelby Moats
Men’s Basketball
Graduate Student
Major: Economics
Masters: Finance

Combination of SEC athletics and high level academics that I knew could take me where I want to go in the future.

I plan on pursuing a career in Investment Banking after grad school next year.

Time management is crucial. Balancing a class schedule with your sport as well as a social life can be tricky, but you just have to figure out what is most important to you, then make sure you give it everything you’ve got.

Prioritization based on importance. School and basketball come first. My education is going to get me the job I want; therefore it comes first. The basketball team is my family and my job; therefore they come first as well. Everything else is second on down. By knowing my responsibilities and where I want to go in my life, I have to be careful I am paying enough attention to the right things.

Study.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort  without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly , so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”-Theodore Roosevelt-excerpt from the speech “Citizenship in a Republic”

Important Dates

Sept. 1: Labor Day
Sept. 12: Family Weekend
Oct. 9: Homecoming
Oct. 16-17: Fall Break

Student Athletes of the Month: