Home » Student-Athletes of the Month » Mills Rendell-Men’s Golf

Mills Rendell-Men’s Golf

Mills Rendell
Men’s Golf
Major: Economics

I chose to attend Vanderbilt because of several different reasons. First, Nashville is an awesome town. Whether it’s the restaurants or live music, there really is something to do every night of the week. Second, I really wanted to come somewhere south. My mom is originally from South Carolina and both my parents went to Georgia, so they had a big influence on me. Finally, Vanderbilt is really the perfect place. It obviously has strong academics, and it is a really good sized school, not too big but not tiny. 

My career goals are pretty simple actually. I really want to get some sort of sales job right out of school. I feel like my personality puts me in position to be successful as a sales rep or associate. After that, I really want to go back to graduate school and get my MBA. With the career path I want to take, business school will definitely help me. After that, I want to start/own my own business. Both my Dad and Grandpa own their own companies, so I feel like it’s sort of in my blood. Right now I don’t really know what that business will be, but I know a few ideas will come to me along the way. 

In my opinion, it really only takes one thing to be academically successful at Vanderbilt and that is time management. Vanderbilt is obviously challenging academically, but by planning ahead and having a schedule, you are setting yourself up for success. There are weeks where you might not have any assignments due, but sometimes those are the weeks you need to get ahead. 

It is really tough being an athlete at Vanderbilt. I always tell people that it’s like having a second job while you’re at school. I manage my schedule mostly by planning ahead and being disciplined. Coach always tells us that in order to be successful, we need to be disciplined on the course and in the classroom. Usually that means preparing for a test a week in advance when you know you’re going to be traveling or being disciplined enough to stay in the library a little longer or making the extra effort to go to office hours to get help. When you are disciplined and focused, you will achieve your goals.

I don’t really have much of a ritual for tests. I guess I would say I always try to get a good night’s sleep the night before and have a good breakfast. It’s always hard to think when you’re hungry. 

“Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right” – Henry Ford

Important Dates

Nov. 22-30: Thanksgiving Break
Dec. 4: Classes End
Dec. 5-13: Reading Days/Exams
Dec 14-Jan 4: Winter Break
Jan 5: Classes Begin

Student Athletes of the Month: