Home » Student-Athletes of the Month » John Ewing-Men’s Cross Country

John Ewing-Men’s Cross Country

John Ewing
Men’s Cross Country
Major: Chemical Engineering

Vanderbilt provides a great well-rounded college experience for students who have varied
interests like science, medicine, politics, music, and sports.  I appreciate that Vanderbilt focuses on undergraduate education and has a relatively small class size, but that Vanderbilt also excels in research and has a leading academic hospital.  As a high school student, these traits really appealed to me, and I have come to appreciate them even more since being here!

After my undergraduate education, I plan to attend medical school.  Helping others directly through patient care appeals to me, and I also want to be a part of improving healthcare in the United States through laboratory or clinical research.

I’ve always found that having an interest in the subject matter of a class is the key to doing well in the course. If I don’t like a class, I find something about it that is interesting.

Developing a weekly routine has always been the most helpful thing for my time management, especially with the daily commitment of cross country practice.  It’s certainly a challenge,
but I try to schedule my time proactively rather than reactively.

I do not really have very specific ritual before taking a test.  I usually try to get up early enough to have a big breakfast, to make sure that I have all necessary materials, and to arrive at the class in plenty of time.

Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.
-Michael Jordan

Important Dates

April 21: Classes End
April 22-May1: Reading Days and Final Exams
May 9: Graduation Ceremony 9:00am

Student Athletes of the Month: