Home » Student-Athletes of the Month » Grace Stumb-Soccer

Grace Stumb-Soccer

Grace Stumb
Soccer
Major: Special Education

Being from Nashville, I knew of Vanderbilt’s exceptional reputation in both academics and athletics; however, what really drew me to Vanderbilt was the well-rounded community. As a whole, I saw that Vanderbilt has a diverse student body that is committed to academics in a friendly, engaging atmosphere in and outside the classroom. Furthermore, Vanderbilt has a unique athletic community at McGugin Athletic Center where you can meet and get to know athletes from every team on a regular basis. I knew at Vanderbilt I would find people that would not only help me accomplish my dreams, but also, people I would build relationships with that would benefit me the rest of my life.

Once I am finished with soccer, I plan on pursuing my dream of being a Special Education teacher. I want to work with students with severe disabilities at the elementary age where I can influence students while they are still young. I want to teach my students to be
confident, self-determined individuals and provide opportunities for them to
make their own choices when it comes to their life. Also, I want to combine my
soccer and education knowledge to start a branch of the TOPSoccer program here
in Nashville; TOPSoccer is an outreach program for soccer that provides soccer
training and team placement for individuals with disabilities.
http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/programs/topsoccer/

What does it take to be academically successful at Vanderbilt? You have to learn how to organize and prioritize your time—knowing when and how much time you need to commit to each assignment and then following through until each one is
completed successfully.

I write down everything and plan each Sunday what work I need to get done for the following week and what time the assignments were due. I make sure to take into account meetings, class time, and practice. For day to day, I write down what time I will work on each assignment, and I make sure to leave time for breaks—I know my limits and when I am no longer being productive in my work.

Before taking a test, I make sure to get good rest the night before, I do a quick review over the major terms and concepts for a few hours, and make sure I eat something beforehand, even if it’s a quick snack.

Don’t just pretend to love others, really love them. Hate what is wrong; cling to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection.” -Romans 12: 9-10

Important Dates

Nov. 22-30: Thanksgiving Break
Dec. 4: Classes End
Dec. 5-13: Reading Days/Exams
Dec 14-Jan 4: Winter Break
Jan 5: Classes Begin

Student Athletes of the Month: