Home » Student-Athletes of the Month » Kim Carper-Bowling

Kim Carper-Bowling

Kim Carper
Bowling
Majors: Human and Organizational Development (Undergrad) and Leadership and Organizational Performance (Graduate)

Vanderbilt offered me the best of both worlds in terms of athletics and academics. I fell in love with the atmosphere and area as soon as I stepped foot onto campus and it was no turning back.

I plan to work in Sports Marketing and/or Management after completing my Graduate degree through Vanderbilt’s Peabody College.

Determination and a “never give up” attitude when classes and times are tough. On top of that, time management is essential as a student-athlete who strives to
excel in both the classroom and athletics.

Again, like I mentioned previously, time management skills have been my savior when it comes to managing my schedule. I keep an agenda filled out with all of my upcoming assignments, meetings, activities, and anything else I happen to add to the list. By blocking out my days and weeks using an agenda, I’m able to stay on top of all the things required of me for academics, my sport, and life in
general.

I like to start studying about a week in advance if possible and if not, then at least three days before. If I start a week ahead, the first couple of days I only focus on small segments of material and study casually (only when I’m feeling motivated and focused).┬áThree days prior, I will study hard for two days to retain as much information as possible, then the day before only review. The day before I like to make it an easy day just to build confidence and show that I actually know the materials, then I will take my mind completely off of the test by watching a movie or doing something relaxing. Good night’s rest, good breakfast/meal before hand, then test time!

“People might not get all they work for in this world,
but they must certainly work for all they get.” Frederick Douglass

Important Dates

Nov. 22-30: Thanksgiving Break
Dec. 4: Classes End
Dec. 5-13: Reading Days/Exams
Dec 14-Jan 4: Winter Break
Jan 5: Classes Begin

Student Athletes of the Month: