Home » Student-Athletes of the Month » Kristen Smith-Women’s Cross Country

Kristen Smith-Women’s Cross Country

Kristen Smith
Women’s Cross Country
Major: Medicine, Health and Society

I’m originally from Michigan and wanted to experience the Southern culture, and escape the nasty norhtern winters.  Vanderbilt’s academic reputation made this school my first choice.

I plan to earn a dual degree in nursing and public health.  I want to make a difference in less privileged communities by helping to deveop and implement programs that address population health disparities.  Ultimately I hope to dramatically reduce chronic illnesses that affect lower income communities at higher rates including but not limited to obesity, cancer, and diabetes.

Time management is critical for academic success.  Practice and travel consume a lot of time, so you also have to be willing to sacrifice the social life most other students get to experience.

I do my best to get ahead during my “easier” weeks.  I also attempt to get at least 5-6 hours of sleep each night so I do not become so fatigued by the end of the week that I have become inefficient and don’t get much done.

I begin by looking over my notes 4-5 days before, and then go over them in detail a day or two before the exam.  I always make sure I eat a good meal and drink a cup of coffee the hour before I go to the class.

“I don’t believe you have to be better than everyone else.  I believe you have to be better than you ever thought you could be.”-Ken Venturi

“Adversity is like strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are.”-Arthur Golden

Important Dates

Dec. 4: Classes End
Dec. 5-13: Reading Days/Exams
Dec 14-Jan 4: Winter Break
Jan 5: Classes Begin

Student Athletes of the Month: