vanderbilt navigationVanderbilt UniversityCampus MapPeople FinderSite IndexSearch
Student Handbook 2007 2008

CHAPTER 1: University Policies and Regulations

Address and Name Change / Alcohol / Athletics / Complaint and Grievance Procedures in Co-Curricular Matters / Computer Privileges and Responsibilities / Conduct / Dining / Email Address / Equal Opportunity / Fees, Co-Curricular / Financial Aid, Student / Financial Responsibility / Identification Card / (University) Logos and Word Marks, Use of by Student Organizations / Mail Services / Nonacademic Undergraduate Class Designation / Parking and Transportation / Police Department, University / Political Activity / Refunds of Tuition and Residence Hall Charges / Religious Holidays & Practices / Residential Requirement / Same Sex Domestic Partner Policy / Smoking on Campus / Solicitation / Student Health Center and Other Medical Services / Student Records (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) / Study Abroad / Technology and Literary and Artistic Works / Universal Waiver / University Calendar / Vanderbilt Visions /

When communities come together for a purpose, they generally establish guidelines and procedures for furthering that purpose. The policies and regulations, articulated below, have been developed over time to serve the Vanderbilt community as it pursues its academic endeavors of teaching and learning. Some of the policies, such as the residential requirement, have been established to strengthen and complement the educational experience. Others, such as fees and dining plans, have been established to provided financial viability to programs and services that students desire or require. Still others, such as those dealing with addresses, enable effective communication. A number delineate procedures for students to follow when addressing issues.

Taken in their entirety, they may seem a bit overwhelming. However, they have served well both the institution and individual students. Trying to function without them would prove very challenging, if not chaotic.

Address and Name Change

Students are required to inform the registrars of their schools or the University Registrar of any changes in their university or home addresses. Official notifications from the university will be sent to the address listed with the Office of the University Registrar. Student addresses and phone numbers may be updated going to and selecting Address Change.

Students who wish to change any part of their names as they appear in the Student Records System must petition the University Registrar's Office and provide official documentation supporting the requested change. Name changes will be considered only if a student is currently enrolled.

Alcohol: See Chapter 6


Vanderbilt University competes in varsity athletics at the highest level sanctioned by the NCAA (Division IA) within the nationally competitive Southeastern Conference (SEC). Vanderbilt offers opportunities in sixteen intercollegiate programs: football, baseball, men's basketball, women's basketball, women's cross country, men's cross country, women's golf, men's golf, women's lacrosse, men's tennis, women's tennis, women's indoor track and field, women's outdoor track and field, women's soccer, women's swimming, and women's bowling.

During the 2006/2007 academic year, over 330 student-athletes competed in varsity athletics. Athletic financial support is contingent upon ability and ranges in amount and availability. Further information regarding Student Athletics can be found at or by calling 322-4727.

Complaint and Grievance Procedures in Co-Curricular Matters

Situations may arise in which a student believes that he or she has not received fair treatment by a representative of the university or has a complaint about the performance, action, or inaction of a member of the staff or faculty, affecting the student. A student who wishes to have a complaint addressed by the university should first use the Complaint Procedure, below, and then use the Grievance Procedure if the Complaint Procedure proves unsatisfactory. Students are encouraged to seek assistance from the office of the appropriate academic dean in cases involving classes, grades, or faculty members; and the Office of the Dean of Students for other matters; or, in regard to complaints of unlawful discrimination, the Opportunity Development Center. Decisions of the Appellate Review Board are not subject to the Complaint and Grievance Procedure.

Allegations of Unlawful Discrimination

If a student believes that he or she has been discriminated against on the basis of race, sex (including sexual harassment), religion, color, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or military service, that student should report the matter to the Opportunity Development Center, which will seek to assist the student with the resolution of the complaint as described below in the Complaint Procedure.

Complaint Procedure

A complaint should be directed as soon as possible to the person or persons whose actions or inactions have given rise to the complaint, but not later than six months after the event. Every effort should be made to resolve the problem fairly and promptly (usually within thirty [30]) days, at this level.

If the complaint involves allegations of sexual harassment, this step may not be appropriate. (See "Harassment" section, in Chapter 3.) In addition, in a complaint alleging unlawful discrimination, as noted above, the Opportunity Development Center (ODC) should be consulted as soon as possible. The Opportunity Development Center will conduct an investigation of the allegations (usually within ninety [90] business days), will issue a finding to the appropriate university official, and will seek to resolve the matter. If the ODC is unable to complete the investigation within this time period, then the ODC will contact the complainant and provide an estimated time frame for completing the investigation.

If the student is not able to resolve the complaint satisfactorily at this level, he or she may appeal the decision within thirty (30) days through the appropriate administrative channels of the academic or administrative unit, or through the Provost or appropriate vice chancellor. Students uncertain about the proper channels or process are encouraged to seek advice from the Office of the Office of the Dean of Students. If the student is not satisfied with a resolution proposed by the ODC, then the student may pursue the Grievance Procedure, below.

Grievance Procedure

A student who believes that he or she has not received fair treatment, or who has a complaint about the performance, action, or inaction of a member of the faculty or staff, and believes that he or she has not received appropriate redress through the Complaint Procedure in the preceding section within a reasonable period of time, including for complaints of unlawful discrimination investigated by the ODC, may file a written grievance with the Office of the Chancellor within thirty (30) days. Upon ascertaining that the complaint procedure has been exhausted, the Chancellor's office shall refer the grievance to the Faculty Senate Committee on Student Affairs, usually within thirty (30) days during the academic year. For this purpose, the membership of the committee shall be augmented by three student members appointed by the Chancellor at the beginning of each academic year. The undergraduate Vanderbilt Student Government will nominate students for the one undergraduate position, and student governing bodies of the professional/graduate schools will nominate students for the other two student positions on a rotating basis.

Upon receiving the grievance referral from the Office of the Chancellor, the Student Affairs Committee shall inform, in writing, both parties to the grievance that a preliminary investigation will take place. The preliminary investigation will usually be completed within thirty (30) days. After the preliminary investigation, if the committee decides that the grievance is not frivolous, the committee shall follow procedures necessary to ensure a fair hearing of the matter, including the opportunity for the student to present relevant evidence, to challenge adverse evidence, and to have the complaint heard by an impartial committee. Committee members may recuse themselves if they believe their objectivity is subject to question, and the grievant may request any committee member recuse himself or herself if the grievant believes that a committee member will not view the grievance with sufficient objectivity. If vacancies occur, the chair of the Faculty Senate shall appoint Senate members to fill faculty vacancies and the Chancellor shall appoint students to fill student vacancies.

The student filing the grievance may be assisted during the hearing by a member of the university community (faculty, staff, or student) not trained in the law, and is encouraged to seek such assistance. Although all parties to the grievance are free to consult with, and receive advice from, attorneys concerning the grievance, no party shall be represented by an attorney at the hearing. For hearings or complaints of unlawful discrimination, a representative from the Opportunity Development Center shall be present in an advisory capacity. The committee may call upon any individuals who it believes may be helpful in resolving the grievance.

The grievant and the person or persons against whom the grievance was filed shall be present during the hearing until such time as the committee is ready to begin deliberations. The student may withdraw the grievance, with the consent of the other party, at any time prior to the decision of the committee.

After each case the committee shall write its report. The report should be completed within three weeks and shall include a statement of the committee's findings, the basis for those findings, and, if necessary, recommendations for any corrective action that should be taken. If any disciplinary action is anticipated, the appropriate university disciplinary procedures shall be followed. The report, including the vote and any dissenting statements, shall be sent to the Chancellor within one week after completion. Except as disclosures are reasonably necessary in the investigation, hearing, and final disposition of a grievance, the grievant, members of the hearing bodies, and others having knowledge of a grievance are expected to preserve the confidentiality of the grievance.

The Chancellor shall communicate his decision to the committee. In any case in which the Chancellor does not follow the decision or the recommendation of the committee, the Chancellor shall report to the committee his or her reasons for so doing. The Office of the Chancellor shall then notify the student and the other affected persons, in writing, of the final decision, usually within thirty (30) days of receipt of the Committee's report, during the academic year.

State Postsecondary Review Entity (SPRE) Grievance Procedure

Students should be aware that, should they have complaints about their academic program or their financial aid, Vanderbilt has a complaint procedure. To the extent possible, students should seek a resolution of such matters through the institution's complaint procedure before involving others. Should the institution not be able to resolve the problem, the student should call the State Postsecondary Review Program office at the Tennessee Higher Education Commission at (615) 532-8276.

Computer Privileges and Responsibilities

This policy applies to the use of all Vanderbilt University computing resources, including computer data networks and the resources they make available, as well as stand-alone computers that are owned and/or administered by Vanderbilt. Computer privileges are granted with the understanding that Vanderbilt computing resources will be used for university purposes.

Faculty, staff, and students may access and use these resources only for purposes related to their studies, their responsibilities for providing instruction, the discharge of their duties as employees, their official business within the university, and other university-sanctioned activities. Incidental personal use for non-commercial purposes may also be appropriate.

The use of Vanderbilt computing resources for commercial purposes is permitted only with the approval of appropriate university officials and when in accord with other Vanderbilt policies, including conflict of interest policies. System administrators at Vanderbilt may publish more restrictive policies respecting use of particular computer systems. Users must also observe those policies where applicable.

Secure Use

Users of Vanderbilt computer resources are responsible for the correct and sufficient use of the tools available for maintaining the security of information stored on each computer system. Although ultimate responsibility for resolution of problems related to the invasion of the user's privacy or loss of data rests with the user, a reasonable effort will be made by Vanderbilt to lessen the impact of such loss or damage. Users are responsible for observing the following precautions:

Computer accounts, passwords and other types of authorization that are assigned to individual users should not be shared with others.

The user should assign an obscure account password and change it frequently.

The user should understand the level of protection each computer system automatically applies to files and supplement it, if necessary, for sensitive information.

The user should be aware of computer viruses and other destructive programs, and take steps to avoid being a victim or unwitting distributor of these processes.

The user should be aware that Vanderbilt computing resources, including software such as electronic mail, are not necessarily secure or private.

Respectful Use

Vanderbilt computing resources should be used in a manner that is protective of the use privileges and property rights of others. Users must therefore:

Abide by all local, state, and federal laws, including copyright laws.

Abide by all applicable software license agreements.

Use only the accounts, access codes, or network identification numbers assigned to them.

Access only those files or data which they are authorized to use.

Refrain from using computing resources in ways that unnecessarily impede the activities of others.

Refrain from using computing resources in ways that are unlawfully harassing to others.

Cooperative Use

Vanderbilt expects that computer users are willing to cooperate so that all users may make maximum use of facilities in a shared environment. Users are expected to:


Violations of this policy may be grounds for discipline. Discipline may include loss of computing privileges or other sanctions as provided by disciplinary provisions applicable to students, faculty, or staff. In addition, Tennessee and federal law provide for civil and criminal penalties for violations of the law by means of computer use. Examples of unlawful actions include defamatory remarks, destruction of data or equipment belonging to the university or to others, unauthorized copying of copyrighted material, and the transportation of obscene materials across state lines.

Conduct: See Chapter 3


First-year students living on campus are required to participate in the nineteen-meal per week plan. Second-year students living on campus are required to participate in the fourteen-meal per week plan. Other students may purchase 7-, 14-, or 19-meal plans by checking the appropriate selection on the housing application, or by purchasing plans at the Commodore Card Office in Sarratt. For detailed information on Vanderbilt Dining and meal plans, visit

Billing and Refunds

All billing on the student's account is handled through the Office of Student Accounts. Prorated refunds may be made in some cases of prolonged illness or withdrawal from the university, upon the recommendation of the student's dean.

For additional information, visit the Vanderbilt Card Office Web site (

Email Address

Certain federal statutes require that information be delivered to each student. Vanderbilt delivers much of this information via email. Official electronic notifications, including those required by statutes, those required by university policy, and instructions from university officials, will be sent to students' Vanderbilt email addresses: Students are required to be familiar with the contents of official university notifications, and to respond to instructions and other official correspondence requiring a response.

The university makes every effort to avoid inundating students with nonessential e-mail (often called "spam"), and maintains separate lists from which students may unsubscribe for announcements of general interest.

Equal Opportunity

In compliance with federal law, including the provisions of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Vanderbilt University does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or military service in its administration of education policies, programs, or activities; its admission policies; scholarship and loan programs; athletic or other university-administered programs; or employment.

Statement on Sexual Orientation

Vanderbilt University is committed to the principle of nondiscrimination on the basis of being--or being perceived as--homosexual, heterosexual, or bisexual. In affirming its commitment to this principle, the university does not limit freedom of religious association, does not require adherence to this principle by government agencies or external organizations that associate with, but are not controlled by, the university, and does not extend benefits beyond those provided under other policies of the university. (See "Same-Sex Domestic Partner Policy," below.)

Vanderbilt Campus Disability Access

Vanderbilt University is committed to equal access for people with disabilities. In compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), Vanderbilt does not exclude otherwise qualified persons with disabilities, solely by reason of the disability, from participating in university programs and activities, nor are persons with disabilities denied the benefits of these programs or subjected to discrimination.

The Disability Services Program, which is part of Vanderbilt's Opportunity Development Center (ODC), provides reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities, which allow for equal access to education. Accommodations are available for Vanderbilt University students who have temporary or permanent disabilities and are based on the documented needs of each individual. To request reasonable accommodations, students are to contact the Disability Services Program to schedule an intake meeting with the appropriate staff person. Intake meetings are provided on an individual basis to help students orient themselves with the ODC's processes and services. It is the individual student's responsibility to request accommodations and provide sufficient and appropriate documentation. Students are encouraged to contact the Disability Services Program office prior to or upon enrollment at Vanderbilt University.

For further information about services for students with disabilities, write or call the ODC Disability Services Program, VU B# 351809, 2301 Vanderbilt Place, Nashville, TN 37235-1809; telephone 615-322-4705 V/TDD. (See Opportunity Development Center, below)

The Opportunity Development Center (ODC)

The ODC serves as a resource in the following capacities:

The following federal and state laws impose special obligations on the university:

Of these laws, Title VI, Title IX, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, and the Americans with Disabilities Act protect students from discrimination in educational and recreational programs and activities sponsored by the university. Discrimination is prohibited by Title VI on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin and by Title IX on the basis of sex, which includes sexual harassment. Students with disabilities are protected by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act. The ODC is the office responsible for coordinating services for students with disabilities. (See also "Vanderbilt Campus Disability Access," above.)

Students who feel they have been subjected to discriminatory treatment may call the Opportunity Development Center staff for additional information (including information on the student grievance procedure). For more information, visit the ODC Web site (

Fees, Co-Curricular

Student Activities Fee

The Activities Fee supports student co-curricular interests and events and assists the Graduate Student Council. Portions of the fee are allocated to Vanderbilt Student Communications, Inc., and its divisions; programs of the Office of the Dean of Students; Student Athletics; and a variety of student organizations.

For 2007/2008, undergraduates are assessed $426, with half of this charge billed in the fall semester and the remainder billed in the spring semester. Graduate students and students in professional programs pay an activities fee of $122.

Students enrolled for a summer term are assessed a fee of $10 to support summer programs.

Student Finance Committee.

The committee is a representative student group, which annually allocates to student organizations funds collected as student activities fees. Membership comprises two Vanderbilt Student Government co-chairs, VSG senate and house representatives, a representative from the Graduate Student Council, a student representative from the professional schools, two student representatives appointed by the Dean of Students or the dean's designee, a member of the faculty, and two ex officio members: the Director of Student Governance, who serves as the committee's advisor, and the Dean of Students or the dean's designee.

Activities fee for undergraduates covers:

Activities fee for graduate and professional students covers:

In addition, graduate students support the Graduate Student Council through the Activities Fee.

Graduate and professional students may have their identification cards validated for admission to home football and basketball games, on a seat-available basis, upon payment of an extra fee to Vanderbilt Student Athletics, equal to the amount paid for this privilege by undergraduates. Spouses and University certified domestic partners of full-time graduate and professional students may have their cards validated in this manner as well. Other activities included in the undergraduate activities fee are available to graduate and professional students on a single-admission or subscription basis only.

Student Recreation Fee

The Student Recreation Fee supports Vanderbilt's recreational programs administered through the Office of Campus Recreation (OCR). Funds are also allocated for the operation of the Student Recreation Center and the University's recreational playing fields.

For all students, use of facilities and participation in recreational programs or classes is on a space-available basis and subject to requirements, including operating hours, set by the OCR. Special student charges are assessed for some classes and activities, as well as for use of certain equipment.

Recreation Fee for Undergraduates

Each undergraduate student is assessed $208 each semester of the academic year and $51 during the summer. The fee covers:

Recreation Fee for Graduate and Professional Students

Each graduate and professional student is assessed $105 each semester of the academic year and $51.00 during the summer. Payment of the summer fee entitles graduate and professional students to the same privileges provided undergraduates.

The academic year fee covers:

Recreational Activities for Spouses and Partners

Spouses and university-certified domestic partners of undergraduate, graduate, and professional students may use the Student Recreation Center for a fee and participate in recreational classes, workshops, and outdoor programs. In order to use the facility, a spouse or university-certified domestic partner must obtain a Student Family identification card from the Vanderbilt Card Office in Sarratt Student Center. Students should accompany their spouses and eligible partners to the Card Office. Spouses and university-certified domestic partners of medical students should obtain their cards from the Medical Center Card Office, D-2107 Medical Center North. Spouses and partners may inquire at the main desk of the Student Recreation Center concerning registration and payment of fees after a University I.D. card has been obtained.

Waiver of Student Fees

The Student Activities and Recreation fees are mandatory fees set by the Vanderbilt Board of Trust. The fees appear as a combined charge on university statements sent to students or their parents. An automatic waiver of the student fees will be granted to a student who registers on time and is:

1. a part-time student registered for four or fewer credit hours (including audit credit) or

2. a full- or part-time student residing outside a circle of approximately sixty miles from the Vanderbilt campus, as determined by ZIP codes. It is the student's responsibility to notify the University Registrar's office of an address change in a timely manner.

Special requests for waivers may be addressed to the Student Activities and Recreation Fees Waiver Committee, VU Box #356206, 2301 Vanderbilt Place, Nashville, Tennessee 37235-6206.

A late charge of $10 is assessed against students who are eligible for waivers but register after the deadline of September 6 for the fall and after January 24 for the spring. Special requests must also be received by these deadlines to avoid the late charge penalty. No waivers are granted after the end of the semester in which the fee occurs, and there is no waiver of the summer activities and recreation fees.

Financial Aid, Student

The Office of Student Financial Aid counsels students and parents concerning need-based financial assistance (institutional, state, and federal) available to Vanderbilt students. Eligibility for need-based assistance is determined through a needs analysis process using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the College Board Profile. Upon the student's completion of all required financial aid application materials, The Office of Student Finacial Aid will provide information regarding a student's eligibility and finalize assistance for the student. Grants, scholarships, student loans, parent loans, and student employment are available for eligible students and/or parents. For more information, visit the Office of Student Financial Aid Web site (

Financial Responsibility

Tuition, fees, and all charges associated with the beginning of the semester are due and payable in full by the beginning of classes. The payment deadline for fall 2007 is August 22; for spring 2008, the payment deadline is January 3. A student who misses the payment deadline for either semester will be charged a 1.5% late payment fee and may have his or her registration cancelled, unless the student has secured authorization from the Office of Student Accounts to delay payment. In addition, OASIS (On-line Access Student Information System), Commodore Card (debit card), and V-Net (long distance telephone) access will not be available for the student's use.

All new and transfer students must complete a Student Account Agreement form prior to August 1, 2007. Forms are available in the Office of Student Accounts or online at

Students and their parents (or legal guardians) will be responsible for payment of all costs, including reasonable attorney fees and collection agency fees, incurred by the university in collecting moneys owed to the university. Students are bound by laws of Tennessee governing bad checks.

Identification Card

The Commodore Card is the official identification card for the university. All students, whether full- or part-time, are required to have a valid identification card for any semester in which they are registered. The card is the property of the university and, if a student withdraws, it must be relinquished to the office of the dean of the school in which the student is enrolled. Vanderbilt Cards are not transferable, and damaged or altered cards are invalid. If misused, cards may be invalidated for the remainder of the semester--or the season in the case of specific university-sponsored activities.

Students can use the identification to access debit spending accounts, use meal plans, and gain admission to campus buildings such as residence halls, academic buildings, and the Student Recreation Center.

Entering students will be issued Commodore Cards at the card office in Sarratt Center. Returning students who have lost their Commodore Cards may obtain replacements at the card office during regular office hours upon payment of a $20 fee.

Cardholders must report lost cards as soon as possible either to the card office during business hours, online at, or at any attended retail location that accepts the Commodore Card as a method of payment, so that debit spending account and access privileges can be frozen. Lost cards may also be reported to the Vanderbilt Police Department at 322-2745.

The university reserves the option of suspending the Commodore Card debit privileges, in whole or in part, of any individual for any reason. In the event that debit privileges are entirely suspended, any funds on the Card will be returned to the individual's student account, or otherwise returned if the individual has no student account.

The Commodore Card is nontransferable and restricted to use by the person whose picture and signature are on the card. Cardholders may not lend their cards to anyone or ask anyone to purchase items for them with their cards. Violation of this policy may result in confiscation of the card and in disciplinary action. Commodore Card account information will be released only to the cardholder or to the guarantor of the student account, who has been identified as such by the student in documents filed with the student accounts office.

Family Identification Card

Upon payment of a $10 fee, the spouse or university-certified domestic partner of a full-time student (undergraduate, graduate, or professional) may obtain a family identification card from the Commodore Card Office by presenting proof of marriage (or university certification of domestic partner status). The student spouse or partner must accompany the individual applying for the card and the individual applying for the card, and each must show a current photo ID. When properly validated upon payment of the appropriate fees, a family card will admit the family member to home football, basketball, and baseball games (on a seat-available basis), competitions in other sports, libraries, or the Student Recreation Center (if a membership is purchased).

(University) Logos and Word Marks, Use of by Student Organizations

All logos, seals, names, symbols, and slogans associated with, and used by, Vanderbilt University are trademarks and are the exclusive property of the university. Reproduction and use of these marks by student organizations must be approved by the office of Trademark Licensing. Such reproduction includes all products (e.g., T-shirts, mugs) that are used for sale or giveaways to other students. Students may call the Trademark Licensing Office at 343-7292 or visit the web site at for more information.

Mail Services

Undergraduate students living on campus are eligible for post office boxes, free of charge.

Nonresident undergraduates and postbaccalaureate students may obtain a box at the Peabody post office, for which they will be charged a box-rental fee. The box rental fee is nonrefundable and will be charged to the student account at the beginning of the academic year.

Students typically retain their campus post office boxes for the duration of their undergraduate studies at Vanderbilt (up to four years). However, students who leave the university for any reason other than to participate in study abroad programs or for medical reasons may not receive their mail through campus mail boxes and should submit a change of address card to the post office manager. Students may be assigned new mailboxes upon their return to the university.

Students, registered campus organizations, and departments may use the campus mail service without paying postage. Items to be distributed through the campus mail or placed in campus post office boxes must have four straight sides and be no smaller than a post card (3-1/2 x 5-1/2 inches) and no larger than a 9 by 12 inch envelope. Each item must be properly addressed and must include a return address.

Authorization for the limited distribution of unaddressed mail may be granted for the activities of governmental and other organizations that have a broad public purpose, provided the exception is not simply for the purpose of advertising an event or party. Authorization may be obtained for such things as public opinion polls and orientation activities. Groups seeking such authorization should apply five days in advance to the supervisor of the Station B Post Office.

Candidates for student offices will not be granted authorization to distribute un-addressed mail.

Foodstuffs may not be delivered through campus mail unless adequately packaged in an envelope or box.

Mailings of more than twenty-five pieces must be arranged by box number in numerical order.

All campus mailings of 250 pieces or more should be in Station B one week before the expected delivery to ensure timely receipt.

Greeting cards for all holidays must be in Station B well in advance of the holiday to ensure timely delivery.

Mailing Instructions and Shipping:

University policy prohibits residential staff from accepting package deliveries due to the lack of storage space and concerns regarding liability. For these reasons, students must make arrangements with their shippers to hold trunks and boxes until the students are able to pick them up at the terminal, or to make arrangements to have the shippers deliver the trunks and boxes to students in their residence halls after the students have checked into the residence halls. Residents must make arrangements to meet shippers who are delivering trunks and boxes.

First-class mail is posted immediately to student boxes. Boxes, packages, or mail requiring signatures are inventoried when they arrive at Station B (the central campus post office located in Rand Hall) or the Peabody mail room. A claim slip is then placed in the student's mailbox to notify the student about the receipt of a priority mailing. Students may claim parcels or priority mailings at the package window.

Students must present valid student ID cards and the package notice slips obtained from their Station B or Peabody mail room boxes to claim their packages. Students may use any carrier, and should insure all packages up to the value of the contents. Students should number the packages when sending more than one. Example: 1 of 4, 2 of 4, etc.

Packages will be held for fourteen days before they are returned to the sender.

For more information call the Station B Post Office at (615) 322-2934. Students who need assistance on how to ship items from Vanderbilt should visit Station B or the Peabody mail room.

Nonacademic Undergraduate Class Designation

Determination of a student's class for nonacademic purposes is usually based on the number of years the student has been in residence, regardless of the number of hours accumulated. A student in the first year of full-time study is classified as a first-year student for purposes of meal plans, parking privileges, running for campus office, etc., even if the student achieved sophomore standing because of summer enrollment or advanced placement. Transfer students enrolled in an accelerated three-year graduation program are classified in consultation with the appropriate student affairs dean of their school or college. Classification for residence hall assignment will be determined by the Office of Housing and Residential Education in consultation with Vanderbilt Student Government.

Parking and Transportation

Motor vehicles operated on campus by Vanderbilt University faculty, staff, and students must be registered annually with the Office of Traffic and Parking. Freshmen may not register or park vehicles on campus. Complete parking regulations may be found at


Sections of the Metropolitan Nashville Traffic and Parking Code dealing with bicycles apply both on and off campus. Vanderbilt policy concerning the use of bicycles on campus is as follows:

Registering Bicycles

Registration of bicycles at the Vanderbilt Police Department helps to deter theft and helps to identify the owners of bicycles that have been recovered. Bicycles may be registered online at Bicycle owners should notify Vanderbilt Police if their bicycles are stolen or if they sell their registered bicycles.

Bicycle Parking

To prevent theft, heavy chains, cables or U-bolts should be used to secure bicycles to racks. Bicycles should not be chained to the decorative grillwork of campus buildings, to hand rails, or to any structures not designated for bicycle use. Bicycles may not be parked in the public areas of campus buildings.

Bicycle Accidents

Persons involved in bicycle accidents that result in personal injury should report the accidents to the Vanderbilt Police Department.

Golf Carts

Golf carts are prohibited on campus, except when used by those departments (Alumni Events, e.g.) that must use such carts in the undertaking of their responsibilities during special events. Rare exceptions may be made by the Dean of Students or the dean's designee in consultation with the Director of the Student Health Center and the Opportunity Development Center for students whose mobility impairment cannot be accommodated by any other device. Golf carts may not be operated on Metro streets and must yield to pedestrians on sidewalks.

Police Department, University

As one of Tennessee's larger law enforcement agencies, the Vanderbilt University Police Department provides comprehensive law enforcement and security services to all components of the university including the academic campus, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, and a variety of university-owned facilities throughout Davidson County. Both non-commissioned and commissioned officers staff the department.

Commissioned officers are empowered to make arrests as "Special Police Officers," through the authority of the Chief of Police of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County. Vanderbilt officers with Special Police Commissions have the same authority as that of a municipal law enforcement officer while on property owned by Vanderbilt, on adjacent public streets and sidewalks, and in nearby neighborhoods.

When a Vanderbilt student is involved in an off-campus offense, university police officers may assist with the investigation in cooperation with local, state, or federal law enforcement. Metro Nashville police routinely work and communicate with Vanderbilt officers on any serious incident occurring on campus or in the neighborhoods and business areas surrounding campus.

Although Vanderbilt University operates no off-campus housing or off-campus student organization facilities, many graduate students and some undergraduate students live in the neighborhoods surrounding the university. Metro Nashville police have primary jurisdiction in all areas off campus, but Vanderbilt officers can, and often do, respond to student-related incidents that occur in close proximity to campus. Vanderbilt officers have direct radio communications with the city police, fire department, and ambulance services to facilitate rapid response in any emergency situation.

Emergency Phones

Emergency ("Blue Light") telephones are located throughout the university campus and medical center.

Each phone has an emergency button that when pressed automatically dials the VUPD Communications Center. An open line on any emergency phone will activate a priority response from an officer. An officer will be sent to check on the user of the phone even if nothing is communicated to the dispatcher. Cooperation is essential to help maintain the integrity of the emergency phone system, which should be used only for actual or perceived emergency situations.

Emergency response from Vanderbilt Police may also be obtained by calling 911 from a campus phone, or 615-421-1911 from a cell phone. For off-campus emergencies, callers should dial 911. In every case, callers should be prepared to state their locations.

Lost and Found

Recovered property may be turned in at any time to the Vanderbilt police department. Inquiries about lost items may be made by calling the police department lost and found property clerk at 343-5371 during business hours.

Additional information on security measures and crime statistics for Vanderbilt is available from the Vanderbilt University Police Department, 2800 Vanderbilt Place, Nashville, TN 37212. Information is also available at

Political Activity

Vanderbilt is subject to restrictions concerning activities of a political nature. In particular, the Internal Revenue Code imposes on tax-exempt organizations, such as Vanderbilt, limitations relating to attempts to influence legislation and participation or intervention in political campaigns on behalf of candidates for public office.

The American Council on Education has taken the initiative in preparing a statement of guidelines for use by universities in their efforts to comply with the applicable provisions of the Internal Revenue Code. These guidelines apply to students and student organizations:

Educational institutions traditionally have recognized and provided facilities on an impartial basis to various activities on the college campuses, even those activities that have a partisan political bent, such as, for example, Republican, Democratic and other political clubs. To the extent that such organizations extend their activities beyond the campus, and intervene or participate in campaigns on behalf of candidates for public office, or permit nonmembers of the university community to avail themselves of university facilities or services, an institution should in good faith make certain that proper and appropriate charges are made and collected for all facilities and services provided.

Extraordinary or prolonged use of facilities, particularly by nonmembers of the university community, even with reimbursement, might raise questions. Such organizations should be prohibited from soliciting in the name of the university funds to be used in such off-campus intervention or participation.

Every member of the academic community has a right to participate or not, as the member sees fit, in the election process. On the other hand, no member of that community should speak or act in the name of the institution in a political campaign.

All members of the Vanderbilt University community should observe these principles in planning and engaging in political activities that might either directly or indirectly involve the university. Questions concerning the application of these points should be addressed to the Dean of Students or the dean's designee.

Refunds of Tuition and Residence Hall Charges

University policy for the refund of tuition and residence hall charges provides a percentage refund based on the dates of withdrawal and residence hall check-out. Students who withdraw officially or who are dismissed from the university for any reason may be entitled to a partial refund in accordance with the established schedule shown below.

Refund Schedule for Withdrawal and Residence Hall Check-out

Fall 2007 Refund Schedule
Fall 2007 Official Withdrawal Date % of Charges Refunded
Week 1: Aug. 29-Sept. 1 100%
Week 2: Sept. 2-Sept. 8 95%
Week 3: Sept. 9-Sept. 15 85%
Week 4: Sept. 16-Sept. 22 80%
Week 5: Sept. 23-Sept. 29 75%
Week 6: Sept. 30-Oct. 6 70%
Week 7: Oct. 7-Oct. 13 60%
Week 8: Oct. 14-Oct. 20 55%
Week 9: Oct. 21-Oct. 27 50%
Week 10: Oct. 28-Nov. 3 45%
No refund after November 3, 2007


Spring 2008 Refund Schedule
Spring 2008 Official Withdrawal Date % of Charges Refunded
Week 1: Jan. 9-Jan. 12 100%
Week 2: Jan. 13-Jan. 19 95%
Week 3: Jan. 20-Jan. 26 85%
Week 4: Jan. 27-Feb. 2 80%
Week 5: Feb. 3-Feb. 9 75%
Week 6: Feb. 10-Feb. 16 70%
Week 7: Feb. 17-Feb. 23 60%
Week 8: Feb. 24-Feb. 29 55%
Spring Break: Mar. 1-Mar. 9
Week 9: Mar. 10-Mar. 15 50%
Week 10: Mar. 16-Mar. 22 45%
No refund after March 22, 2008

Religious Holidays & Practices

Vanderbilt is a private and non-sectarian university that has committed itself to helping its students acquire knowledge and standards of value, develop a sense of responsibility, explore religious concerns and issues, and develop their own sense of purpose. The University itself is diverse in its makeup and perspectives and encourages diversity in its student body.

The university, therefore, provides both directly and indirectly for the religious and moral development of its students. Programs in this area are predicated on the right of students to form and freely express their own beliefs and values. A campus where persons from diverse traditions live and work is an open forum for all perspectives. Respect for all religious faiths is essential; observances and holy days are honored; and dialogue among groups is encouraged.

Code of Behavior for Religious Groups

The element of personal development, as mentioned above has been given expression in the establishment of the Office of Religious Life (, in the recognition of qualified para-church staff, and in the registration of student religious groups whose goals are in keeping with those of the university. The purposes of the university are harmonious with the purposes of addressing issues of religion, values, ethics, and morality of life; in helping members of the university community to articulate a personal philosophy of life, and in understanding the interactions of faith, intellectual inquiry, and social responsibility as bases for finding and affirming meaning and satisfaction in life.

Specific university goals for moral and religious development include the development of programs to help those in the university community to:

1. understand their own faiths and the faiths of others;

2. examine and affirm a personal faith or life philosophy;

3. express that faith through association with others, through opportunities for worship, study, and service, and through campus forums for the presentation and debate of ideas;

4. examine the relation of their faith or life philosophy to current moral, ethical, and social issues and to various academic disciplines and professional and vocational fields.

These goals shall be met by the university itself in a non-sectarian manner, and the university expects all religious groups on campus to give evidence of tolerance, fairness, and respect for the religious traditions represented at the university, to respect the non-sectarian natures of the university itself, and to uphold the university's commitment to creating a diverse and pluralistic community on campus.

The university expects that all religious groups which are affiliated, recognized, or registered, respectively, will conduct their affairs so that their policies, programs, and personal actions are in accordance with university catalogues, handbooks, and manuals, such as the Student Handbook, The Student Organizations Manual, and the Faculty Manual ( In particular, the university expects all religious groups to abide strictly by the policy on "Soliciting for Religious Activities," below, and, with the provision that student groups must be led by full-time Vanderbilt students. The university also expects that all such religious groups on campus will conduct their affairs in such a manner that no one will be intimidated or coerced and that participants in any group may freely express their beliefs and values. The university requires all registered groups not to discriminate on the basis of unlawful or irrelevant criteria in policies, practices, programs, and activities. The university reserves the right to make other regulations as necessary, without notice, to secure maximum freedom, comfort, safety, and convenience for all. Violations of this code of behavior will be addressed through the university's student conduct system and/or the Office Religious Life.

Policy Regarding Religious Holidays

It is the policy of Vanderbilt to make every reasonable effort to allow members of the university community to observe their religious holidays without academic penalty. Absence from classes or examinations for religious reasons does not relieve students from responsibility for any part of the course work required during the period of absence. Students who expect to miss classes, examinations, or any other assignments as a consequence of their religious observance should be provided with a reasonable alternative opportunity to complete such academic responsibilities. It is the obligation of students to provide faculty with reasonable notice of the dates of religious holidays on which they will be absent, preferably at the beginning of the semester. Students who are absent on days of examinations or class assignments should be offered an opportunity to make up the work without penalty (if they have previously arranged to be absent), unless it can be demonstrated that a makeup opportunity would constitute an unreasonable burden on a member of the faculty. Should disagreement arise over what constitutes an unreasonable burden or any element of this policy, parties involved should consult the department chair, or, in schools without department chairs, the dean of the school.

Jewish, Christian, Islamic, Bahá'i, Buddhist and Hindu Holy Days, 2007/2008 Academic Year

See the calendar on The Office of Religious Life web site (

Residential Requirement

The residential requirement, established by the Board of Trust in 1952, states that "All unmarried undergraduate students, except those who live at home with their parents or legal guardians in Davidson County, must live in residence halls on campus during the academic year, May session, and summer sessions. Authorization to live elsewhere is granted at the discretion of the Director of Housing Assignments in special situations or when space is unavailable on campus. A full discussion of residence life may be found in Chapter 4.

Same Sex Domestic Partner Policy

Vanderbilt University extends to the university-certified, same-sex domestic partners of students the privileges and services extended to student spouses, within the guidelines set forth below. Once signed by the Dean of Students or the dean's designee, the ID authorization document and photo identification serve to enable the named domestic partner to obtain university identification and to obtain privileges and services extended by the university to student spouses. (Note: The Card Office requires that the student partner be present when a card is issued, just as it requires that the student spouse be present when a student family card is issued to a spouse. Each must provide photo identification.)

University privileges, programs, and services extended to spouses, for which domestic partners are also eligible, may require that additional criteria be met. (For instance, a domestic partner may live in university housing only if the student partner obtains an appropriate contract for an apartment.) Restrictions or fees that apply to spouses also apply to domestic partners. The list below is not meant to be exhaustive.


1. Domestic partners must certify (and the university may require documentation of the fact) that they are

2. In addition, domestic partners must show evidence that they are

Domestic partners must agree to marry within 180 days after their state of legal residence recognizes the marriage of same-sex couples.

Should the certified domestic partner relationship dissolve, the partners must file with the university a Termination Statement within 30 days. A twelve-month waiting period must elapse before a student may certify a new domestic partner.

Smoking on Campus

Smoking is prohibited in all buildings on campus, including residence halls and Greek houses.

Solicitation: See Student Involvement, chapter 5.

Student Health Center and Other Medical Services

The services provided at the Student Health Center are designed to meet the general primary health care needs of degree-seeking students. Except in emergencies, students should call 322-2427 for appointments to minimize waiting time and avoid missing classes.


Immunization (vaccine) requirements (or signed waiver) mandated by the State of Tennessee as of July 2003:

All new incoming students who will be living in on-campus housing: Meningococcal meningitis vaccine (one injection)

All new incoming students regardless of housing status: Hepatitis B vaccine series (three injections)

Documentation of receipt or waiver of the vaccines must be submitted to the Student Health Center. This can be accomplished via completion of the documentation/waiver form that is mailed to all incoming first-year undergraduate students. The form can also be printed out and submitted by going online to Students who are 18 years of age or older can also waive or enter their meningococcal and hepatitis B vaccine status online by going to and selecting "Vanderbilt University" from the pull-down menu. The vaccines can be administered at either a private provider or at the Student Health Center.


Medication and supplies ordered by Student Health physicians and practitioners can usually be provided on the premises to students at or near cost. The health center encourages use of the Vanderbilt Card. Cash, check, or a charge to the student account may also be used for purchase of medication and supplies. Some routine laboratory tests are provided at minimal costs, but customary lab fees will be billed for diagnostic tests or treatment provided elsewhere, including any location in the Vanderbilt Medical Center or Vanderbilt Clinics. If a student is referred to a specialist, charges incurred are the responsibility of the student.

Charges are also made for any visits to the VUMC Emergency Department, including those made during hours when the Student Health Center is closed. Emergency Department charges may not be covered by insurance unless an accident or emergency illness is involved.


Care provided at the Student Health Center is confidential and in compliance with HIPPA regulations.

Unless Vanderbilt University Medical Center personnel are asked by the treated student not to do so, residential staff in the Office of Housing and Residential Education may be notified when a Vanderbilt University student is admitted or treated in the Vanderbilt University Hospital or Emergency Department. This practice enables the university to provide support and assistance to students and their families.

Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan

All degree-seeking students registered for four or more hours at Vanderbilt are automatically enrolled in--and will be billed for--a university-endorsed health insurance plan offered by the Koster Insurance Agency, unless they complete the online waiver process. (See below.) Information about the plan is available online at, at the Student Health Center, or by calling the insurance assistant at 615-343-4688.

The annual premium is in addition to tuition. Coverage begins August 20 and extends through August 19 the following calendar year whether the student remains in school or is away from the university. However, there is no pro rata refund for this coverage.

The plan provides hospital, surgical, and major medical benefits. A brochure explaining the limits, exclusions, and benefits of the plan is available online at, at registration, in the Office of Student Accounts, or at the Student Health Center. The plan also provides coverage for referrals to specialists but only when a written referral is made by a Student Health Center provider.

Waiver of Insurance Plan

A student who does not wish to subscribe to the insurance plan offered through the university must notify the university of comparable coverage under another policy. Waiver of the student insurance plan does not affect eligibility for services at the Student Health Center. The online waiver process may be found at To waive coverage, students should select Vanderbilt University and follow the directions.

Undergraduate Students. New students must complete the online waiver process if they do not desire the coverage provided by Koster's plan for Vanderbilt students. The insurance charge will not be waived if the online process is not completed by August 1 for the fall semester, or by January 4 for students who are newly enrolled for the spring semester. The waiver process must be completed each academic year.

Graduate/Professional Students. New and returning students must complete the online waiver process each academic year if they do not desire the coverage provided by Koster's plan for Vanderbilt students. The insurance charge will not be waived if the online process is not completed by August 1 for the fall semester, and by January 4 for students who are newly enrolled for the spring semester.

Family Coverage

An additional premium is charged for family insurance coverage. An eligible student who wishes to provide coverage for his or her spouse or university-certified domestic partner, and/or children, may secure an application form from the Student Health Center at the time of registration, or, dependents may enroll online at

International Student Coverage

International students and their dependents residing in the United States are required to purchase the international student health insurance plan approved by the university and offered through the Koster Insurance Agency. Exceptions are made if the university deems that adequate coverage from another source is either equal to or exceeds the Koster policy coverage. Information and applications are provided through International Student and Scholar Services (

For more information, visit the Student Health Center Web site (

Conduct Endangering Personal Health

Students who engage in a pattern of conduct that endangers their personal health or safety, such as abuse of alcohol or other drugs, denial of sustenance, etc., may be required to participate and make satisfactory progress in a program of medical evaluation and/or treatment, or a program of psychological evaluation and/or treatment, if they are to remain at the university. That determination is made by a panel consisting of the Dean of Students or the dean's designee, the Director of the Student Health Center, the Director of the University Psychological and Counseling Center or the university psychiatrist, and an academic dean of the school in which the student is enrolled.

Withdrawal from the University

The university reserves the right to require the withdrawal of a student whose continuation in school, in the university's judgment, is detrimental to the health or safety of the student or others. Students who withdraw, voluntarily or involuntarily, for these reasons, or for medical or mental/emotional health reasons, may be considered for readmission following a determination by the university, often through the Student Health Center, that the condition requiring withdrawal has been corrected. That determination is made by a panel, comprising the Dean of Students or the dean's designee, the Director of the Student Health Center or the university psychiatrist, and an academic dean of the school in which the student is enrolled.

Student Records (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)

Vanderbilt University is subject to the provisions of federal law known as the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (also referred to as the Buckley Amendment or FERPA). This act affords matriculated students certain rights with respect to their educational records. These rights include:

1. The right to inspect and review their education records within 45 days of the day the university receives a request for access: Students should submit to the University Registrar written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University Registrar will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the University Registrar does not maintain the records, the student will be directed to the university official to whom the request should be addressed.

2. The right to request the amendment of any part of their education records that a student believes is inaccurate or misleading: Students who wish to request an amendment to their educational record should write the university official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the university decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the student will be notified of the decision and advised of his or her right to a hearing.

3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records to third parties, except in situations that FERPA allows disclosure without the student's consent: One such situation is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A "school official" is a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support-staff position (including university law enforcement personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the university has contracted; a member of the Board of Trust; or another student serving on an official university committee, such as the Honor Council, Student Conduct Council, or a grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.

The Buckley Amendment provides the university the ability to designate certain student information as "directory information." Directory information may be made available to any person without the student's consent unless the student gives notice as provided for, below. Vanderbilt has designated the following as directory information: the student's name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, student ID photos, date and place of birth, major field of study, school, classification, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weights and heights of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student, and other similar information. Any new-entering, or currently-enrolled student who does not wish disclosure of directory information should notify the University Registrar in writing. No element of directory information as defined above is released for students who request nondisclosure except in situations allowed by law. The request to withhold directory information will remain in effect as long as the student continues to be enrolled, or until the student files a written request with the University Registrar to discontinue the withholding. To continue nondisclosure of directory information after a student ceases to be enrolled, a written request for continuance must be filed with the University Registrar during the student's last term of attendance.

If a student believes the university has failed to comply with the Buckley Amendment, he or she may file a complaint using the Student Complaint and Grievance Procedures as outlined in the Student Handbook. If dissatisfied with the outcome of this procedure, students may file a written complaint with the Family Policy and Regulations Office, U.S. Department of Education, Washington, DC 20202.

Questions about the application of the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act should be directed to the University Registrar or to the Office of General Counsel.

Vanderbilt Directory

Individual listings in the student section of the printed Vanderbilt Directory and the online People Finder Directory consist of the student's full name, school, academic classification, local phone number, e-mail address, local address, box number, and permanent address.

Student listings in the People Finder Directory are available to the Vanderbilt community via logon ID and e-password. Students may choose to make their online People Finder listings available to the general public (i.e., viewable by anyone with access to the Internet), add additional contact information such as cell phone, pager, and fax numbers, or block individual directory items, or the listing in its entirety.

Students who want their listings excluded from the printed Vanderbilt Directory must notify the University Registrar in writing, no later than September 1. Students desiring such exclusion should send notification to the University Registrar, Peabody #505, 134 Magnolia Circle, Nashville, TN 37203-5701. Requests to exclude listings from the online PeopleFinder Directory can be made at any time throughout the year.

Students may report address changes via the Web by going to and by clicking on Address Change.

Study Abroad

In general, the policies and regulations in the Student Handbook apply to students registered for the Vanderbilt study abroad programs, although some additional regulations may apply. Students on academic or disciplinary probation, or those with a financial hold, may be prohibited from participating in study abroad programs. Specific regulations for students enrolled in study abroad programs are available from the program directors, from the Study Abroad office, or from the offices of the deans of the undergraduate colleges and schools.

The resident directors of Vanderbilt study abroad programs (Vanderbilt "Ins") are responsible for academic matters. They are also responsible for co-curricular and disciplinary matters, within the limits of the policies established by the university.

Students are required to abide by the laws of the particular country with respect to the age at which alcoholic beverages may be consumed. Otherwise, all of the policies with respect to alcoholic beverages and illicit drugs included in this Handbook apply. Students are subject to disciplinary action including expulsion and referral for prosecution for violation of these policies.

Undergraduate students enrolled in a study abroad program will be charged only for that portion of the Student Activities Fee allocated to student organizations.

Technology and Literary and Artistic Works

Therights and responsibilities of students and of the university concerning inventions, discoveries, rights in technology, and literary and artistic works, including patents, are defined in the Faculty Manual. For more information, visit Part III, section 4 of the Faculty Manual Web site (

Universal Waiver

In consideration of Vanderbilt University's providing opportunities to participate in both academic and co-curricular programs and activities, students acknowledge the receipt and sufficiency of this consideration, and, by enrolling in Vanderbilt University, agree to release, relieve, discharge, and hold harmless Vanderbilt University, its officers, trustees, faculty, administrators, employees, representatives, and elected and volunteer leaders designated by Vanderbilt University, from any and all liability or claim of liability, whether for personal injury, property damage, or otherwise, arising out of, or in connection with, their voluntary participation in activities and travel associated with programs sponsored by the university or any of its departments, student groups, and other entities.

University Calendar

The official university calendar is the Academic Calendar, which can be found at Campus events may be found at

Vanderbilt Visions

Vanderbilt Visions is a program for all first-year students. The program is designed to help new students better understand the norms and values of an academic community, the value of liberal learning, and the transitional issues faced by first-year students. All first-year students are expected to attend all regularly scheduled Vanderbilt Visions seminars and activities. Any student failing to do so will be subject to appropriate disciplinary measures.