GIS how-to\’s, discussion boards, etc.
- ESRI Resource Center: Home of ESRI desktop help, blogs and user forums. Great starting point for troubleshooting.
- ESRI Training: Online tutorials and information on classes offered around the country. Some cost may apply.
- ESRI User Forums: Online user forum for asking questions and troubleshooting problems with ESRI technical support staff and community experts.
- GeoCommunity: Portal for geospatial technologies.
- Geo-Spatial Training Services: Offers a wide-range of training services and classes in ArcGIS, Google Earth and Google Maps, and other programs.
- GISCafe: GIS news,downloads, tutorials, webinars, publications, etc.
- GIS Lounge: GIS user community with helpful information, downloads, and other resources for beginners and advanced users.
- GIS User: GIS-related news, data, and articles.
- What UTM Zone Am I In?: Great interactive map for finding your UTM zone.
University GIS sites
- Vanderbilt University Library Geographical Information Services: The homepage for the Vanderbilt University Library GIS Services with information on connecting to the GIS data server, training opportunities and more.
- Vanderbilt University Library GIS News: GIS blog with news from Vanderbilt University Library GIS Services.
- Center for Spatially Integrated Social Science, University of California-Santa Barbara: Links, tutorials, and resources for GIS-based research in the Social Sciences. Maintained by the University of California-Santa Barbara.
- Institute for Geographic Information Science, San Francisco State University: Offers support, forums, training, and other GIS-related services.
- University Consortium for Geographic Information Science
Programs, plugins, and extensions
- CrimeStat Spatial Statistics: Powerful cluster analysis tools.
- Data East: Online GIS store offering plugins and tools for use with ArcGIS.
- ET Spatial Techniques: Downloads of editing tools for use in ArcGIS.
- Geographic Resources Analysis Support System (GRASS): Free, open-source GIS progam.
- Google Earth: An easy-to-use GIS program from Google with basic functions.
- Gstat: Open-source program for geostatistical modelling, prediction, and simulation.
- Geospatial Modeling Environment (replaces Hawths Tools): Stand-alone program for quantitative spatial analysis and modelling that works in conjunction with ArcGIS, R, and StatConn.
- MAPublisher: GIS program for use in Adobe Illustrator.
- NASA World Wind: Similar to Google Earth, using NASA satelite images.
- VB Script Functions: Plugin to aid in data analysis in ArcGIS.
- X Tools Pro: Powerful extension for ArcGIS.
- Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer (ASTER): From the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory at the California Institute of Technology.
- Aster DEM data. Free 30m DEM data with global coverage.
- CGIAR Consortium for Spatial Information (CGIAR-CSI): Downloads of SRTM 90-meter DEM worldwide.
- Data Basin: A rich resource of datasets related to conservation research, with themes related to deforestation, climactic conditions, ecological diversity, and more. Also contains datasets of more general utility, including DEMs (including high resolution of certain areas), roads, protected areas, populated areas. Data is available for free once you register with the site.
- Electronic Atlas of Ancient Maya Sites: Comprehensive altas of Maya sites in KMZ format (convertible to shapefile for ESRI ArcGIS).
- GAP Analysis Program: Data related to native species conservation in the United States. From the USGS.
- GeoCommunity: Downloads of DRG, DEM, DOQ, and other files for use in GIS programs.
- GeoData: Web portal for a wide variety of geospatial data for the United States.
- GeoEye: High-resolution satellite (IKONOS) photgraphy.
- Global Land Cover Facility: Downloads of remotely sensed satellite data from the University of Maryland.
- Land Process Distributed Active Archive Center: Downloads of a wide-range of NASA data.
- Mesoamerican Regional Visualization and Monitoring System (MesoStor): Offers on-line data delivery of digital maps across Central America.
- National Cartography and Geospatial Center (NCGC)
- National Conservation Easement Database: National database of conservation easement data for the United States.
- National Map Seamless Server (From the USGS): Orthoimagery, elevation data, and land cover for the United States.
- Natural Earth: Free cultural and physical vector and raster data.
- School Attendance Boundary Information System (SABINS): Provides information on US school demographics for across the country drawn from census data. Particularly strong in Minnesota and Oregon state.
- Tennessee Spatial Data Server: Offers a variety of GIS data for the state of Tennessee
- USGS Global Visualization: Satellite imagery worldwide.
Local, regional and national GIS organizations
- ArcComp-L: Computation Archaeology Listserv. Send message \”message SUB ARCHCOMP-L YourFirstName YourLastName\” to firstname.lastname@example.org. in order to join.
- Tennessee Geographical Information Council: A non-profit group of GIS users in the state of Tennessee. The organization hosts local user group meeting and an annual conference.
Tips and tools for designing maps for presentation and publication
- Colorbrewer: Excellent interactive tool for choosing colors for maps and cartography.
- ESRI, Introduction to Map Design (pdf)
- ESRI, Making a Meaningful Map (pdf)
- ESRI Mapping Center
- GIS Lounge Cartography Center
- Land Trust GIS: Design a Great Map Layout