Home » FAQ



Q.  What are the hours of the Outdoor Recreation Center?

A.   The ORC is open limited hours:
Fridays and Mondays:  12 noon – 6 pm
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays:  3:00 – 6:00 pm

Q.  What kind of payments do you accept?

A.  Cash, check, or Vanderbilt Commodore Card.
As of 2/14/14 we finally can accept Credit or Debit Cards!!

Q.  Where is the Outdoor Recreation Center (ORC) located?

A.   At 2600 Children’s Way.  The ORC is in front of  the field house of the new Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center when you are on Children’s Way.

Look for the Canoe/Kayak shed. The ORC is the one story building near it.


Q.  Who can go on an Outdoor Recreation Adventure Trip?

A.  Anybody who attends or works at Vanderbilt:  Students, Graduate and Professional Students, Staff, Faculty, Medical Staff, and Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center Members.

Q.  What kind of experience do I need to go on a trip?

A.   Most trips are designed for beginners, so no experience is necessary.  Mainly the climbing and whitewater kayaking trips have different skill levels (beginner, intermediate, and advanced) and these are indicated with the trip information.

Q.  How do I sign up for a trip?

A.   Come to the Outdoor Recreation Center by the advertised deadline.  Pay a deposit or the whole trip fee (with cash, check, credit card or the Vanderbilt Commodore Card).  If you are signing up a friend, bring their e-mail address and phone number and payment.

Q.  Are there any spots left on this trip?

A.  Trip registration usually ends on a Friday at 6 pm.  If there is space, you can sign up on Monday or Tuesday, prior to the Pre-Trip Meeting.  Call the ORC at 615-343-8182 or Linda at 615-343-7898 to see if any spots remain.

Q.  When does the Adventure Trip Schedule come out?

A.  We have a new trip schedule three times a year.
Fall:  by the First Day of class (trips often begin on the second weekend in Sept.)
Spring:  By the third week of January (trips begin in February)
Summer:  By the third week of May (trips begin in June)

Q.  Are children allowed on trips?

A.  No.  Trip participants must be college age or older.


Q.  Who can rent equipment from the Outdoor Recreation Center?

A.  Anybody who attends or works at Vanderbilt:  Students, Graduate and Professional Students, Staff, Faculty, Medical Staff, and Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center Members.

Q.  Can VU Alumni rent equipment from the ORC?

A.  Yes.  The fees are slightly higher for alumni

Q.  I have a pick-up truck, can I fit a canoe or kayak in its bed?

A.  No.  Our canoes are almost 17’ long.  Our touring kayaks are 14’6” long.  You can probably fit a whitewater kayak in your bed, depending on which boat.   A car, SUV, or mini-van  is a better vehicle for transporting canoes or touring kayaks.  We rent car-top carriers which have foam blocks to pad the canoe from the top of your vehicle.

Q.  Can you help me pick out the right equipment for camping and tell me where to go?

A.   Our student staff can help you figure out what gear you need.  We have a lot of quality gear to choose from.  We also have a number of resources for camping, including a list of state parks and how far they are from Vanderbilt.


Q.  When can we sign up for a kayak workshop after a schedule ends?

A.  We have a new kayak workshop schedule three times a year.

Fall:  By the second week in September

Spring:  By the third week in January

Summer:  By the first week in June.


Q.  Does it cost anything to climb the Wall just inside the Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center?

A.   No.  As long as you have access to the VRWC, you can climb for free. Whenever the grey cart is out, our staff is available to teach you the basics, lend you a pair of climbing shoes, and belay you as you climb.