The Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center (VRWC) offers a wide array of programs and services within its spacious 290,000 square feet facility and surrounding turf fields. Not only is it a recreation and wellness center, it is a great destination for retreats, parties, meetings, and more. If you are a member, thank you for your membership; if not, you are invited to stop by for a tour or contact our recreation membership specialist for additional information. Memberships are available for purchase at the VRWC front desk. Vanderbilt University students, employees, professors emeritus, alumni, visiting scholars and professors, and community are eligible for membership. Spouse and dependent memberships are also available.
- There is a $10 per day, non-transferable and non-refundable charge.
- The cost of the guest pass cannot serve as a credit for membership.
- All guests much show a photo ID.
- VU employees and alumni are allowed to self-sponsor and pay the $10 guest fee.
- All other visitors including employees spouses, alumni spouses, their dependents and community including Vanderbilt Temporary Service employees must be sponsored and show photo ID.
- Those ages 4 -17 may enter with an adult sponsor as a guest at $10.
- One adult member may not bring more than four (4) guests under the age of 18 at a time.
- Guests will not be allowed access and / or use of the facility without being accompanied by a valid sponsor.
- Guest(s) must exit the facility when the sponsors leave.
- Sponsor assumes all responsibility for all guest actions.
- Departments wishing to sponsor a guest must contact the VRWC membership coordinator prior to visit date for details.
Alumni and student parents/siblings visiting the campus are invited to enjoy the amenities of the Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center.
Alumni visiting the campus for homecoming, reunions and other special occasions as determined by the VRWC membership coordinator will be allowed use of the facility during posted hours by presenting their alumni ID.
Locker Rental (January - June)
Lockers outside of the main locker rooms are for rental use only. Lockers located in the locker room are for day use only. Overnight use is not allowed.
Towel service is included in an annual locker rental membership.
Locker Rental Fees (6 months):
Small = $45
Medium = $50
Large = $55
Locks are included with the rental. If desiring to use a personal lock, the VRWC membership coordinator must have the combination.
The VRWC is not responsible for items left in lockers when locks are removed.
PayDay lockers are available in the locker corridor for $.25.
Day use combo locks are available at the front desk for $.50 (non-refundable rental).
Policies and Guidelines
Vanderbilt University employees are eligible for membership at the VRWC by purchasing a spring membership or signing up for payroll deduction (PRD). PRD is based on the employee's pay frequency (monthly, bi-monthly, weekly) and only Vanderbilt University employees are eligible to pay by PRD.
1. PRD is a 12 month agreement and can only be canceled when the 12 month period has passed, OR
2. You are no longer an employee of the University, OR
3. You have a medical situation, in which documentation from one's physician is required.
PRD is continuous until a cancellation agreement is completed and signed.
Vanderbilt University employee spouses and dependents are eligible for membership at the VRWC at the same rate as the employee. The employee does not have to be a member in order for the spouse or dependent to obtain membership. However, the employee must be present when purchasing a membership to:
- Confirm their employment as part of Vanderbilt University;
- Provide a signature approving the amount to be deducted from their paycheck, if paying by payroll deduction;
- Provide their Employee ID number which can be found in C2HR.
Alumni, Alumni Spouses, and Dependents
Alumni, their spouses and dependents, are eligible for spring memberships at the VRWC per person.
The alumni must have a membership for the spouse and dependent(s) in order to obtain membership.
For membership, a valid Vanderbilt ID must be presented. If this is a new membership, paperwork for IDs will be completed upon purchase.
Community memberships for the spring are available to patrons not affiliated with Vanderbilt University. The Community membership includes employees of the Vanderbilt Medical Center, Veterans Administration, and Vanderbilt Temporary Staff.
Dependent Specific Policies (defined as 4-25 years of age)
Dependents under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times while in the facility.
Dependents age 4-17 will receive a laminated card upon sign up to grant them access to the facility.
- A valid ID must be presented in order to obtain membership.
- Misconduct or failure to follow facility policies may result in ejection and / or suspension from the VRWC.
- A valid Vanderbilt Card or VRWC Pass is required to be admitted to the VRWC. Members may sign in without Vanderbilt Card or VRWC pass five (5) times per semester.
- Individuals improperly accessing the facility are subject to having VRWC privileges revoked.
- Solicitation is strictly prohibited. Solicitation is considered badgering and / or deceitfully persuading a member to gain access into the VRWC. Potential guest(s) may not enter facility to locate a sponsor. Members may not sign in any patron soliciting access at or near the welcome center.
- All media must receive clearance from the VRWC director and Vanderbilt's News and Communications office (615-322-2706) before entering the Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center and / or surrounding recreational fields.
- Coaching, teaching, instruction and personal training for personal financial gain is not permitted.
- Dependents age 14 and younger are not permitted in the downstairs weight room, on the equipment in the second floor cardio loft, nor on the equipment in the upstairs track They are allowed on the track, with a parent/guardian present, but not on the equipment in the 3 corners.
- Dependents, ages 4 to 25 years of age, may purchase a membership only if the parent (student / faculty / staff / alumni) is a current member.
- For children 3 and under there is no fee.
- There must be one adult member present per 4 children under the age of 18 unless approved by VRWC senior staff.
If you have completed your 12 month contract and wish to cancel your membership, please stop by the front desk to complete a cancellation form.
Memberships can be cancelled for the following circumstances:
- The member is a Vanderbilt University faculty or staff and leaves the university.
- The member has a medical condition prohibiting exercise documented by a doctor's letter.
- Monthly memberships are not refundable.