Home » Swim School
In our 48th year as the leader in teaching Nashville to swim, we offer a wide variety of classes and times to suit your needs and schedule. All classes are held in the Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center.
Our lessons are on a first come first serve basis. Online registration powered by ACTIVE Network is now available for the Vanderbilt Swim School. Registration closes Thursday at midnight prior to the week of lessons. For issues or concerns, contact our aquatics staff.
If you do not wish to use online registration, you may register in person in the Office of Campus Recreation at the Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center, Monday through Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm. (check, cash, money orders and now credit cards accepted.) Class fees must be paid in full at time of registration. Absolutely NO refunds or make-ups for missed classes.
NO Mail-In Registrations Will Be Accepted.
Programs Offered and Descriptions:
Group Swim Lessons Ages 4 to 13
- Parent and Child Ages 6 months to 3 years: Teaches parents how to assist their children in adjusting to the water through the use of nursery Rhymes and games.
- Introductory is for children 3 years and up who have no independent experience in the water. This class teaches confidence in the water, simple breathing techniques, and safety topics.
- Beginner One is for children ages 4 years and up who have few or no independent swimming skills, but have been around and are not afraid of the water. This class teaches basic stroke form, continues breathing techniques from Introductory, and safety topics.
- Beginner Two class is for children ages 6 years and up who are able to swim at least 5 yards on their front and back unsupported. This class teaches more advanced stroke techniques to allow independent swimming with breathing.
- Beginner Three class is for children ages 7 years and up who are able to swim at least 7 yards on their front and back unsupported. This class builds on independent swimming skills and builds swimming endurance.
- Advanced Beginner class is for children 8 to 13 years old who are able to swim at least 15 yards (approximately half-way across a 25-yard pool) on their front and back unsupported. This class introduces more advanced strokes and breathing techniques.
- Intermediate class is for children 9 to 13 years old that have completed Advanced Beginner with recommendation to progress into this level. A minimum of 25 yards of each stroke is required before entry into this class.
Private Instruction: Private Lessons are designed for individual attention on strokes of your choice, participant’s needs ranging from becoming comfortable in the water to improving stroke technique and efficiency. Private Lessons are for ages 2 and up.
Vanderbilt Swim School Parking 2014
Parking for the VRWC is available at the following locations:
- 2 hour open parking is available on Children’s Way closest to Natchez Trace.
- Meters are available along Children’s Way immediately following the 2 hour Parking
- Medical Center staff with proper permit may park in lot 74 and 75.
- Zone 3 parking is available behind the Recreation Center
- Lot 75a Located on the corner of Children’s way and Natchez is a cross park lot.
Patrons parking on Children’s Way will access the center by 25th Ave or Natchez Trace. The Office of Campus Recreation will not be responsible for ticketing and / or towing fees. Thank you for your participation in The Vanderbilt Swim School.