American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification
Also see the American Red Cross website.
Lifeguard Classes Schedule for Month of April
*You must attend all classes to receive certification.
No missed classes will be made up.*
May 18 – 4:00 pm – 9 pm
May 19 – 4:00 pm – 9 pm
May 20- 4:00 pm – 9 pm
May 21- 4:00 pm – 9 pm
May 22- 4:00 pm – 9 pm
Registration begins Fri, May 1 – 17
Lifeguard training is a 25 – hour course, which includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer (CPR/PR) and AED training. In this course, you will learn about the duties and responsibilities of a lifeguard and how to carry them out in a professional manner. You will also learn a number of lifeguarding skills, such as surveillance techniques, how to use rescue equipment, and how to manage a suspected spinal injury victim.
$150 – Vanderbilt Students and CURRENT Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center Members
$165 – Community
The cost includes a pocket mask, and your certificate of completion.
Zone 3 parking is located behind the Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center (VRWC) in front of the Outdoor Rec Bldg and in Lot 75A. You must have a Zone 3 parking pass in order to park in these designated spaces.Class Days / Times: - Class size is limited, based on first come first serve. Class sessions will be held in the Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center classrooms and pool. At this time, class will be limited to 10 participants, with a minimum of 4 participants.
Parking for the VRWC is available at the following locations:
- 2 hour open parking is available on Children’s Way closest to Natchez Trace.
- Meters are available along Children’s Way immediately following the 2 hour Parking
- Medical Center staff with proper permit may park in lot 74 and 75.
- Zone 3 parking is available behind the Recreation Center
- Lot 75a Located on the corner of Children’s way and Natchez is a cross park lot.
To enroll in a Lifeguard Training course, you must be 15 years old and proficient in the front crawl (freestyle), sidestroke, and breaststroke.
There will also be a pre-course session, in which you will be required to pass a skills test. The skills you will perform are as follows:
1. Prospective participants must show that they can swim 300 yards continuously breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but, swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used. NOTE: There is not time requirement for this skill.
2. Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
3. Start in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, and swim 20 yards back to the starting point with object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps , within 1 minute 40 seconds. (NOTE: When returning to the starting point, the candidate must hold the 10lb. object with both hands and must keep his or her face above the water. This can be achieved by swimming on their back using a whip (breaststroke kick on their back) or a rotary (eggbeater) kick.
Lifeguard Red Cross Certificate
Upon successful completion of the American Red Cross Lifeguard Training course, you will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguard / First Aid / CPR with AED certificate valid for two years.
For additional information or questions please contact Kit Wilson at: email@example.com or call 343-1530.